Almost ready for paint >

Almost ready for paint

Notices

Almost ready for paint

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Dave I know you also mentioned spraying the cockpit and hatch when using PPG's single stage concept, but what about below the waterline and the bilge area?........like racer-x6 boat, could the whole thing be shot with single stage?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by reinhardtsearay
I painted a 60ft 1958 burger up here 4 yrs ago with concept using a pressure pot being pulled around on scaffold then sand & rubbed the hull the next winter and it looks off the hook , biggest steel hull i have painted to date
Thats a lot of paint, pressure pots about the only way to go. Thats what i like about Concept, the workability. I faired and finished the bottom of a sixty foot Chris Roamer once, ohhhh man i could go a lifetime without ever doing that again
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scippy
Dave I know you also mentioned spraying the cockpit and hatch when using PPG's single stage concept, but what about below the waterline and the bilge area?........like racer-x6 boat, could the whole thing be shot with single stage?
Nope, no paint below the waterline. You could if you had to (which i have) but it really cant handle the constant abrasion and ,most times, because of proximity the running surface really never gets properly prepped and adhesion becomes a problem. I have seen some nice pro jobs but in the long run its not really the way to go.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave do you use any of that flex additive in the paint when you do a hull.Would the concept work ok with a boat that is just painted down to the chime and maybe left in the water over night.JOHN SR
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Dave do you use any of that flex additive in the paint when you do a hull.Would the concept work ok with a boat that is just painted down to the chime and maybe left in the water over night.JOHN SR
No, flex agent has pretty much been phased out over the years with the quality of paint coming along. Its fine to paint the sides to the hard chine and yes its best if not left in the water for extended periods (weeks at a time). I did the stripes on my Scarab in Concept and the lower ones go below the water line after being in the water all last year they still look fine but i suspect they wont last forever.

The two issues with paint below the water line are abrasion and osmosis (i guess thats what it is). Painted fiberglass is not as durable as gel coat but it is a standard process on epoxy built boats, it can be done on trailer boats its just not the optimum finish but in certain situations there is no other choice, the key is prep and quality paint. The other issue is water intrusion and blistering, i guess it would be a form of osmosis. When i had my Scorpion i painted the sides and after about a full season at the dock it developed a pretty bad blistering right below the water line. Odd thing is it was worse on the side that got the most sunlight and subsequently the worst algae growth. I kept it scrubbed pretty much every weekend but it still got a film buildup after a few days and that seemed to make the paint issue worse.

Last edited by glassdave; 05-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Spot primed and sanded. Going to try and spray this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Almost ready for paint-imag0807.jpg   Almost ready for paint-imag0809.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Registered

Default single stage uv protection

wet sanding & polishing any single stage paint has an effect on uv protection when poishing you should use clear coat if you want to you could paint single stage wet sand with 600 to 1000 griy then clear it comes out real nice and very durable
Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Painted the sides last night, had a few runs but it came out nice. It was hard spraying white on white!
Attached Thumbnails Almost ready for paint-181217_456298044396978_100000503588519_1723998_1293413160_n.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Paint is done, 2-1/2 gallons later and a few runs but it came out good. For not having a paint booth it don't have much trash in it either.
Attached Thumbnails Almost ready for paint-imag0833.jpg   Almost ready for paint-imag0837.jpg   Almost ready for paint-imag0838.jpg  

Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, what paint did you end up using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.