Almost ready for paint

Notices

Almost ready for paint

Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready for paint

Thinking about using Awlgrip and was wanting some input. Anybody ever use it? what were the results? Not sure if I can paint this much at one time.
Attached Thumbnails Almost ready for paint-577274_427214010638715_100000503588519_1649680_994176757_n.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Havnt shot AwlGrip in years. If memory serves you have to be very careful and very clean, no buffing after the fact. You will affect the UV stability if you break the surface down, or so I'm told. Its great durable stuff but takes a seasoned hand to apply. I have been stuck on PPG's Concept for complete whites, serves me pretty well and it very durable. Looks good
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks Dave, that is the same info everyone else is telling me. I get so many opinions that I have no idea which way to go. I have even thought about just spraying new gelcoat.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Last time i shot Awlgrip i think we even had to pre heat the cup to get it to spray right. Been a while and i was working with the guy that started me out in this biz. (in the early 90's lol) Gel it worth the effort but is very labor intensive on the after applied side of the project, using Duratechs gloss additive helps tremendously. If you have a nice white gel surface to start with PPG's single stage Concept is hard to beat. Sprays easy and buffs easy and looks very much like fresh gel when done, its all i use for white re sprays. I have a great color number if you go this route, nice clean white thats not overly bright and goes with any color as far as accents.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I would love to do a wild paint job but I think it will have to go back white with some graphics.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Last time i shot Awlgrip i think we even had to pre heat the cup to get it to spray right. Been a while and i was working with the guy that started me out in this biz. (in the early 90's lol) Gel it worth the effort but is very labor intensive on the after applied side of the project, using Duratechs gloss additive helps tremendously. If you have a nice white gel surface to start with PPG's single stage Concept is hard to beat. Sprays easy and buffs easy and looks very much like fresh gel when done, its all i use for white re sprays. I have a great color number if you go this route, nice clean white thats not overly bright and goes with any color as far as accents.
Do you spray it directly on the gel or do you use a epoxy prim.?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I rarely prime overall unless its a color change, trick with boats is to keep film build down. On resprays over decent gel i DA with 320, hit it with a clear adhesion promoter like Klean-Strips Bulldog and go right to color. Single stage Concept covers and hides well and truth be told will even go over 220 marks if need be. DCC 91050 is an excellent hiding color and is a nice clean white that is an almost exact match to most OEM white gel coats. I got the number years ago from Donzi when i was doing warranty work for them. When buffed it looks like fresh new gel.

http://www.wmbarr.com/bulldog/default.aspx
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
I rarely prime overall unless its a color change, trick with boats is to keep film build down. On resprays over decent gel i DA with 320, hit it with a clear adhesion promoter like Klean-Strips Bulldog and go right to color. Single stage Concept covers and hides well and truth be told will even go over 220 marks if need be. DCC 91050 is an excellent hiding color and is a nice clean white that is an almost exact match to most OEM white gel coats. I got the number years ago from Donzi when i was doing warranty work for them. When buffed it looks like fresh new gel.

http://www.wmbarr.com/bulldog/default.aspx
Wow, every paint store and auto body painter said epoxy primer, base/clear and an arm and leg........... I think I will take your advice, can I go to any PPG store and give them that paint code?
I buffed on the sides and they really don’t need painting. If the paint matches close enough I might be able to get away with just painting the top. How much paint do you estimate it would take to spray the top. (30 Spectre) Want to come to Mississippi for a weekend, lol
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I dont know a single quality pro boat painter that primes overall unless necessary for a color change or there is a lot of blocking that needs to be done. If its a nice gel finish that just needs fresh color there is no need for primer and the extra millage associated with more product can haunt you. If i have a bunch of primer spots from repairs i might toss on a coat of PPG's DP-48LF (white) but again only if its needed for excessive hiding. Base clear will give you a slightly deeper gloss and a sharper shine but i really like the look of single stage when buffed out. It really mimics a gels gloss very well. Strictly auto painters will not know what is best on a boat nor will the paint store. Most paint counter jockeys, when asked a question, will pick up a product bulletin and start reading. They will be clueless because they have never painted a boat lol. yes they can work with that number and when they tell you its no good and does not come up (which they probably will) tell them to do there job and look in the fleet color selector its there. Even my supplier has to search for it and i go through gallons of that color, PPG's color software sucks big time.

If the sides buff up you could also have the color shot with PPG Profit computer matching system. Get pretty close and is an option to rolling the dice on the color. Five or six qts i would guess but thats a long one. With my equipment i could probably squeeze it out of a gallon and leave the hatches and cockpit for another day incase i ran short. If you spray with something like a DeVilbus Plus you can count on most of your paint going out the fan. What gun do you have?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

I painted a 60ft 1958 burger up here 4 yrs ago with concept using a pressure pot being pulled around on scaffold then sand & rubbed the hull the next winter and it looks off the hook , biggest steel hull i have painted to date

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.