Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Squid needs direction on main stringer... >

Squid needs direction on main stringer...

Notices

Squid needs direction on main stringer...

Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 38 X
Ok little hole..huge problem!!! We started cutting out around the home to find it kept going and all the tiny little white bugs in the there..yeap termites so cut all the string out to find they made it to the transome....this is where **** starts to suck!! So while I was drilling some test holes in the transome I got a little crazy with the drill and for two more string those little bastards had to make dinner out of....so now it comes down to is it even worth the work of the repairs.....????
ouch, hate to hear it but this is usually the case. Weather its worth it or not just depends on weather you can take a total loss on the boat or part it out. Boat hulls of that vintage and style are worth very little as a project. Transom and stringers are not a job thats out of reach of an ambitious do-it-yourselfer. I've talked many a newbie through the process successfully just depends on how much you want to get into it to save the boat. There is also the option of farming out the job, tansom/stringers/forward bulkhead would set you back aprox 5-6K
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

frickin' termites! jesus! man am i glad they used no wood at all in my Hatteras!! his 45th birthday is this summer. at this point, you should count what you have in it, what you can get for the parts, or what you can find for a hull without power to swap your motors into. the last isn't necessarily junking your hull, just loaning your motors to another boat to drive to take time pressure off you while you decide what to do with bugboat and get the work done.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I made a couple calls today, looks like about 2500 just for a transom, but may have them go ahead with the forward bulkhead and stringers too, I was already set up and had bought all the materials for the stringers but I just don't trust myself with the transom given there's gonna be a 1000 horses off the back of it.....just too critical to get it right..::was grazing thru another hull to donate my power too but just got too much already tied up into this one to turn back now...advice to any newbies check this out first!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

this is what surveyors are for...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Registered

That's alright, we've all had to learn the hard way at some point.

Yeah I made a couple calls today, looks like about 2500 just for a transom, but may have them go ahead with the forward bulkhead and stringers too, I was already set up and had bought all the materials for the stringers but I just don't trust myself with the transom given there's gonna be a 1000 horses off the back of it.....just too critical to get it right..::was grazing thru another hull to donate my power too but just got too much already tied up into this one to turn back now...advice to any newbies check this out first!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

but I just don't trust myself with the transom given there's gonna be a 1000 horses off the back of
Believe me you can do it!!.....at first I felt overwhelmed (transom, stringers, engine hatch etc.) but, with a good sense of mechanical ability and the expert advise here to see you through it....believe me you can do it no matter what your hanging back there!!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

Hey guy , the biggest problem with doing any fiberglass repair is it ...........can sometimes be very overwhelming for a person (as metioned above ) doing it for the first time........... but actually can be a walk in the park with a little help considering there is a lot of good information on this Forum from people with many years of experience who by the way can , and will talk you thru any part of the repair (including myself ) or all if need be . I guess the bottom line is .....................there is no need to get frustrated doing a repair of this magnitude because if you screw something up when doing this type of repair ........it can always be fixed because you are smarter then a dumb piece of fiberglass . Scippy ( Pete ) just how......... is the Mag comeing and when are you going to give us an up-date with pics other then posting on the Donzi site . Dave , if you read this i will give you a call tomorrow about attending the Tawas race ......................R/T

Last edited by Glassic R.T.; 06-06-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Glassic R.T.
Hey guy , the biggest problem with doing any fiberglass repair is it ...........can sometimes be very overwhelming for a person (as metioned above ) doing it for the first time........... but actually can be a walk in the park with a little help considering there is a lot of good information on this Forum from people with many years of experience who by the way can , and will talk you thru any part of the repair (including myself ) or all if need be . I guess the bottom line is .....................there is no need to get frustrated doing a repair of this magnitude because if you screw something up when doing this type of repair ........it can always be fixed because you are smarter then a dumb piece of fiberglass . Scippy ( Pete ) just how......... is the Mag comeing and when are you going to give us an up-date with pics other then posting on the Donzi site . Dave , if you read this i will give you a call tomorrow about attending the Tawas race ......................R/T
Artie???........"Smarter than a dumb piece of fiberglass".....Priceless!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered

Thank y'all for all the support!! I'm still kinda wheery of where to even start, i spent the weekend pulling out the gimbals and k planes, which by myself was a bit challenging but nothing some good ole Texas sweat couldn't handle. So engine hatch is ready to go.....so do you cut the whole transome out? Just gring out the inside to get to the bad material?? Trust me any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

a friend did his. he peeled transom wood off the outer layer of glass hull. left glass attached to boat. cut and fit everything. then when glassing it in he used the transom mount bolts as clamps and alignment jigs. had all orig holes where factory (searay) put them. i'd like dave's opinion on this method...or maybe it is how they all are done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.