How to replace coring >

How to replace coring

Notices

How to replace coring

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to replace coring

I have removed some wet spots in the coring of my hull. What is the process for replacing the coring? I plan on using polyester resin. I have attached a pic of my project. What cloth should I use on top? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails How to replace coring-100_0664_small.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Theres a couple ways you can go about this. I would highly recommend using a vinylester resin though, Make sure the area is cleaned, squared up and ground with 36 grit. You can either use a core bedding compound or wet bed the core in ounce and a half mat. Seeing as the area is fairly small and Corebond is tough to get in small quantities wet bedding would be the best bet plus thats probably OEM. The process is fairly simple, cut your new core to fit snugly in the hole and also cut a single piece of ounce and a half mat to the same size as the hole. Mix the resin to one percent and try to do this in the shade on a cool day. Apply the resin with a roller to the side of the core that will be down on the mat, you wet the core out first because it will soak up some resin while you are putting in the mat. Wet the surface in the boat and apply the mat and then roll out this resin saturating it well and evenly. Check the core and see if it has dried out, if so apply another coat of resin and set the core in the mat making sure to apply even pressure everywhere to set the core in the mat. You have to be sure there are no areas that release and allow air pocket to form. If it was well fit in the earlier process it should bed down pretty good. I generally let this part of the process cure out completely before capping it off. After the core has cures you can go back with a grinder/sander and clean up the edges/surface to make sure it is uniform. You will also want to fill and gaps with a mix of cabosil and resin to ensure a tight core. Cap the whole thing over in 1708 bi ax with two or three layers or comparable to what was there to begin with.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave,
Thanks for the information! Is there a place I can order the supplies I need on line?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

uscomposites.com
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )