38 AVS transom and stringer problem >

38 AVS transom and stringer problem

Notices

38 AVS transom and stringer problem

Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 AVS transom and stringer problem

Good morning everyone, well maybe not for me. I need some advice on what to do about my 1999 Scarab 38 AVS with 324 hours on it. I found out that the transom is wet not rotted. I guess it doesn't really matter if its wet or rotted the problem is still there. Upon closer inspection and core samples the starboard stringer is rotten 3/4 of the way to the bulkhead. What are the chances the damage has gotten past the bulkhead into the sole? We haven't done core samples on the other stringers yet. What should I do? Fix it, strip it for parts? I really love the boat but this really disappointing. I could be looking at a $10,000 repair bill. I've only had the boat for 2 years and due to the drought last year we've only had it out 7 times!! Sorry for the long thread and many questions but I need some good advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered

Hey man i just recently went thru what you are about to venture into, just bought a 38 excalibur had no idea. core sample every stinger and every bulk head to save yourself the time of guessing and the cost of finding out later once your already digging into it. If you are planning on doing it ourself it is going to take a long time, if you get someone to do it yes you are going to have a huge bill. Just all depends on how much you love your boat. Feel free to text me with any questions Matt 8322868110
Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scarab issues...

Just curious, do you know how the moisture got into the wood? I had an 83 34' Scarab that had some water damage that looked like it was caused by holes drilled in the bulkheads after the fiberglass was complete which left unsealed access for water into the wood. I would have thought a 1999 model would have been built with more attention to detail. Back to your question on what to do... As long as the hull isn't flexing to the point of cracking gelcoat, I would just run the boat as is and enjoy it, knowing the loss is already there is frustrating but pouring money into a functional boat may not be immediately necessary. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

I have been working on the same problems with my 85', when they laid the stringers, bulkheads, transom, there is not a barrier between them all so most likely if you do not find were water is coming in from, it will continue throughout the whole boat. like "inspector" said look to see were water can be coming in at. I am sure other guys will tell you it is a bad idea to run the boat like that, but the strength is in the fiberglass and you could get away with running it like that for awhile but The end result is that you will have to have the stringers replaced. costly to have someone else do it, but long and disappointing doing it yourself, seeing your pride and joy all cut up. if you end up parting it out, I would love to get into a newer hull/project let me know. good luck
Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i would get it fixed! either at home or by a professional but, i would not just accept the rot and go ahead using the boat. the stringers are, most definitely, structural.

the boat is a newer boat being a '99'. i'd have it fixed and keep it. if you were to try to sell it, you would have to disclose the rot and take a beating on the sale.

boats are an expensive hobby and as such require lots and lots of upkeep. just a part of it, i guess.

good luck with however you choose to proceed.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Just sell it to me cheap and i'll fix it!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Do you know how many people are running boats with bad wood in them and don't even know it. I would run the boat till I could fix it.You know the rot or wet wood is there so it will drive you nuts.Never heard of a boat falling apart.The glass itself has some structural integraty.Just don't pound the H---l out of it fix it over the down months. My 2 cents JOHN SR
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that the chances of the boat breaking in two is unlikely but, i'd put the repair on the "front burner" as the engines are supported by the stringers and, in my opinion, that's a pretty important part of the boat. (engine starts to settle and comes out of alignment with the drive.....bad things happen and now the boat needs engine/drive work and stringer repair. )

true though that lots of folks either don't know or prefer to turn a blind eye to their suspected problems and many boats go on in use with those problems.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hell they all have some sort of water damage i bet, i know other will say not but after 10years of moving parts redrilling holes etc. theres got to be something, hell winters coming on might ass well get her dry,
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its just wet you need to put it inside for a few months and let it dry out then aee what you have,,you know trees start out wet and they seem to dry out and still be strong..once its all dry try to reseal al the places you think is causing the transon to get wet..if it were me i would pull engines ans everything on the back of the boat and start to seal all the bare wood you see up..