Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge >

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Notices

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

I know this isn't going to do much good without pics (I'll post them tonight), but I had to get this out here to get this off my mind, and also to see if this is a common problem with this hull design.

Was out on Erie on a pretty good swell (6'ers), and taking a beating. Didn't get to cleaning the boat till this weekend, and in cleaning up the bilge, I noticed that the two forward lateral stringers running between the main stringers (main stringers - one center, and two just in-by the strakes... There are four laterals), are busted in the center. These laterals are glass over foam, and are approximately 2 x 2 inches. The port side also cracked away from the center stringer. None of the main stringers have any damage.

I crawled under the boat and inspected the whole bottom, but I didn't notice any stress cracks or crazing in the gel (at least it hasn't showed up yet). The hull seems to be solid (no delamination). I would assume the broken laterals are from the rearmost step being pounded pretty badly.

The design of these little laterals seems pretty flimsy to say the least. That being said, maybe this boat isn't made for the rough stuff???

I'm thinking that I can limp it through the rest of what's left of the season, provided I don't get back out in rough weather. I know I'll have to pull the engines, cut out these stringers (all 4), and replace them with spruce at a higher profile (instead of 2 inches, go to 4 or even 6 inches if they'll clear the oil pans). Would this be a good idea, or is the boat supposed to flex here?

One other problem - the step below the cockpit... Is the layout under the floor of the cockpit built the same as the bilge, or do the stringers that run through the cabin, run back to the firewall (if so it should be stronger in this area and I don't have anything to worry about).

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

if the 28 is anything like the 38 it is a pad bottom with a variable dead rise that equals a slightly harsher ride but higher speed. Yes you can put in larger ones, prep is everything when doing structural stuff. Grind off all gel coat there you will be glassing and at a minimum use a good quality vinylester resin.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave... Much obliged.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Registered

Pics...
Attached Thumbnails Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge-photo1.jpg   Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge-photo2.jpg   Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge-photo3.jpg  

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge-photo4.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

In the first picture, you can see the rear ones. There's no damage to those that I can see.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call your insurance company..
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the center stringer cracked where it attaches at the bulkhead?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Holy crappola.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Cracks like this is what pushed me away from that hull. Love the look of them but had two service shops comment on lay up of the 28. Good luck. I saw two 2003 and one 2001 with serious cracks. The 2001 had cracks running the length of the strakes to the first step and cross sectionally where the rear step returns up to the hull. I wish you the best. Not bashing at all, just thought this might help.

LC
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Negative on the center stringer. In the photos I posted, the lateral is cracked where it abuts the center stringer (not sure if this is what you mean). The rear laterals show no damage that I can see either. If i do this work myself (IE I dont turn in to insurance co), all four will be cut out and replaced with wood with a higher profile.

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Is the center stringer cracked where it attaches at the bulkhead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.