Buffing Gel with Metal Polish? >

Buffing Gel with Metal Polish?

Notices

Buffing Gel with Metal Polish?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing Gel with Metal Polish?

Ok guys. I know there's a lot of opinion in what brands of compounds to use to buff your boats. I just saw a buddy of mine buff his entire 33 outlaw with "blue magic" metal polish cream. Looks fantastic, and feels fantastic. He was told to use it from a friend of his that is a 20 year veteran car and boat body guy. His buddy says that the metal polish cream is a secrete that he uses. He says it's got a perfect amount of cut and the cream leaves a nice wax coat. Has anyone else heard of this? Obvious it works, yet what about long term? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i use to use a product called Rollite and it was an industrial aluminum polish. Worked pretty good but it was a pain to use when compared to products made specifically for the care and maintenance of marine gel. Clean up was my big issue, those old metal polishes had a tendency to drag streaks across the finish if you got to close to a cleat or something and if you left any residue that dried it was tough to get off. I get far better results in a third of the time and effort using marine specific stuff.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave!
I have a butt load of polished aluminum under the hood of one of my cars and I know what your talking about the smearing if you don't get it all cleaned up. I figured there wasn't much of a benefit not to use a marine grade product. Just didn't know if anyone else had used this method and had an opinion.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Tried it, didnt like it mainly for the reasons Dave stated above. Staining is a mess to clean without ruining what you just polished.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I got into the habit of taping off most of the hardware but when I switched to FOY products I no longer needed to.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered

4" pads for detail work = no more taping.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

Just giving feed back. I absolutely loved the metal polish! A little does go a long way and you can mist the pad or area occasionally to keep from drying up. I found there was less clean up with the metal polish over the 3M products I've used before. Thanks for everyone's comments on here and PMs! I've found that there is always more than one way to accomplish stuff, yet you have to take the advise from those that have done it before and find what works best for you!