Respirator question >

Respirator question

Notices

Respirator question

Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Respirator question

I'm going do be painting a small boat (dinghy) using Interlux Perfection (2 part paint). It will be the first time I'm spraying-so if it isn't perfect-thats OK. The question I have is: What kind of respirator to wear? If money was no object, an air fed-full face respirator would be ideal. Since this is such a small job, can I use a canister type repirator and still be safe? Are there any specific models that I should consider? As always, thanks for your responses!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3m makes a full face specifically for painting. Its around $140-$150 if I remember correctly. If has dual filters(cloth on outside and I believe charcoal inside).
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

for a job this small if well ventilated you can use the 3M half mask charcoal filter disposable masks. There like twenty five or thirty bucks at any paint supply store. Harbor freight has some from Gerson thet are decent to.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a dustmask and a snotrag

Just joking, dont do that!!!!

The first few paintjobs I did on cars, I didnt realize how bad the stuff was, and did something of that sort, probably pay for it later in life. I still paint small areas outside without a mask occasionally, but best to just get one of the harbor freight one, and play it safe. FYI, since this is your first time spraying, and may not want to invest a lot in a gun, the HF guns are decent also. I used interlux perfection on my boat, and also a few fiends boats and like it, but mine is also clearcoated.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

hey just a side note about respirators. Storage is pretty important for how they perform. Typically they are good for maybe eight or ten hours of use. When you buy one you will notice it is in a resealable package. For proper storage after use place the mask in this bag and zip it closed (we use to also use coffee cans). Now this is important, make sure you remove the fuzzy pre filter and store these OUTSIDE the bag. If these are left on air continues to circulate within the bag and the contaminates on the re filters will ruin the cartridges.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses! I think I'm going to go with the Harbor Freight $30 charcoal deal.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shot a car like this once in a pinch... I think I killed half my brain - my arms were actually tingly I had absorbed so much solvent. Not a good idea...

A disposable mask like GlassDave recommended works great for one jobers (that was the route I went on the next go-around).

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I use a dustmask and a snotrag

Just joking, dont do that!!!!

The first few paintjobs I did on cars, I didnt realize how bad the stuff was, and did something of that sort, probably pay for it later in life. I still paint small areas outside without a mask occasionally, but best to just get one of the harbor freight one, and play it safe. FYI, since this is your first time spraying, and may not want to invest a lot in a gun, the HF guns are decent also. I used interlux perfection on my boat, and also a few fiends boats and like it, but mine is also clearcoated.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Shag555
I shot a car like this once in a pinch... I think I killed half my brain - my arms were actually tingly I had absorbed so much solvent. Not a good idea...

A disposable mask like GlassDave recommended works great for one jobers (that was the route I went on the next go-around).
Hate to admit it but when i was younger and just out of high school i worked at a truck lease company and shot big box truck all the time without a mask. Didnt do it for long though just in my late teens when i was invincible lol. Since then i have been pretty religious about it and stared getting regular full lung screenings at age forty, pass them all with flying colors although i gotta tell ya i was pretty nervous getting the first one lol.

Last edited by glassdave; 09-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

If you have a $10 head get a $10 helmet, same applies here get the best one you can afford and ventilate area the best you can without contaminating paint. Good luck. Post some pics when finished.