Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Safe paint stripper for polyester boat? >

Safe paint stripper for polyester boat?

Notices

Safe paint stripper for polyester boat?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safe paint stripper for polyester boat?

My boats made out of polyester and i have some open weave in some areas i am working on, is it safe to use a paint stripper on these areas or on the polyester at all?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

its not reccomended..it may soften the resin..whatch trying to do?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

trying to strip my stringers because there was some delamination under the tabbing which started from stress cracks. Ground out all delamination. Just have to retab the stringers but the roving is so dimply that i basically have to grind it completely off to get all the paint out... seems counterproductive so i have been trying to find some way to strip the damn stringers.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

lol ya it is a pain in the azz sometimes..i think in that case one of those spot sand blasters will do the trick..another trick instead of gtinding in a air chisel and a flat sharp bit will cut rite through the glass then all you have to do is feather back the edge with a grinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Spo...-/200298208355

Last edited by FIXX; 09-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

lol i just tried after work today wasted a ton of media and didnt get anywhere, tried from 80-130 psi no luck. I tried using a blast cabinet type gun maybe i need a decicated pressure pot system will that work a lot better? almost time to tow the boat somewhere and get it done im sitting on a rebuilt motor and i want to throw this thing in the water before its to cold to even do a shakedown run
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

you need to use black beauty rough cut,,if its gel than its going to take a grinder..if its gel resin will stick to it,,its still poylester..also if you soak it with acitone rite b4 you start applying the resin and glass the acitone will make the gel sticky..i have also saw a gut chipping gel coat in the bilge with one of those air rust chipping doo hickys..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Air-Need...item5ae919d4b6
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

hmm maybe it is gelcoat i am an idiot i didnt even think of that. Im starting to think i should just flatten the weave out with the grinder and forget about gettin all the paint (gelcoat?) out of the dimples. So annoying. I want this to be strong though.