paint film thickness

Notices

paint film thickness

Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default paint film thickness

hello all. i'm in the process of doing quite a bit of fairing on the 24-7 pantera. i'm using 3m premium filler and i'm getting rid of all the small ripples and imperfections in the original glass/gel.

my question is this.....i've read a bit about film thickness in regards to the ppg concept holding up over time. the consensus seems to be that the film thickness needs to be a thin as possible.
i'd like to use a 2k type primer surfacer to really perfect the surface. would the 2k primer be considered part of the "film" as far as the thickness goes. is it bad to build up the hull a bit with the 2k primer?

i have a gallon of dplf primer in white that i planned on using under the concept but the 2k surfacer really makes a smooth panel.

should i use the dplf epoxy primer and just wait a couple weeks to sand it out or should i use a 2k surfacer, block it down to perfection and then go with the epoxy under the concept?

thanks for all the help you guys give me on a regular basis.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldnt say as thin as possible but you should strive for proper thickness. The trick is do all your repairs to a very high level and dont try and rely on primers to fill imperfections and low spots. When i use a high solids primer i tend to block most of it off and use it as sort of like a tracer coat for the surrounding area, use long boards and smooth even strokes and try to remove all of it on any edges as they are the most sensitive to chips. I use DP-LF as a final sealer with a splash of thinner in it and as part of my final pre paint wash down i will lightly wet sand it a bit just to give em a nice fresh surface.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what dave said.. duratech makes a white polyester that sands real nice and its only like 75.00 a gallon..i also like to block the existing surface on the boat first before spraying on primer to keep the mil's to a minimum..also autobodytoolmart.com and get yourself a 30'' long board..i have 2 of then,,one on my hutchine 3800 and one i use by hand..you can really straighten with one of them..

this one..http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/dura...0-p-16007.aspx

Last edited by FIXX; 10-02-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the replies!

i actually have that durablock 30 inch board as well as an 18 inch job.

i've been blocking the hull & deck forever with those and it's really flat compared to what i started with.

i suppose, i'll use the rest of the 2k i have as a light "guide" coat, block it back down, then go to the dp-lf, block it back down and then go to the color.

thanks again guys!