Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help! >

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!

Notices

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

any thought process you reccomend or considerations? or just leave it alone? It's broken this stringer twice now, but not sure how to blame the second break
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood the wonderful wick!

Originally Posted by glassdave
yep, you would be absolutely amazed how far water will wick and travel.
As I dug into my 272 Formula last winter, I could not believe how the water went from the bulk head, soaked into the 2x2 that tied in the stringer and into the stringers from there. Only reason my transom was dry is the wood stringers did not but up to the wood in the transom, about a 1/2" gap. And formulas we're supposed to Be well built, I do not know how any of them could be 100% dry.

Would the water in the laminations be caused by fiberglass that was not fully saturated with resin? Or do think it would have been moisture in the layup freezing and thawing like Dave mentioned?

Brian
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

I think a few things happened.
1, This stringer has been repaired before, who knows how well or what the glass was like then. I know the first time it was found years ago it was found because of a crack in the hull on the outside.
I'm guessing water got into the laminate then.
2, The stringer was completely rotted. Standing water in the stringer could possibly soaked into the laminate or had the freeze/thaw Dave spoke of.
As I kept grinding water actually kept coming out from under the glass.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by befu
As I dug into my 272 Formula last winter, I could not believe how the water went from the bulk head, soaked into the 2x2 that tied in the stringer and into the stringers from there. Only reason my transom was dry is the wood stringers did not but up to the wood in the transom, about a 1/2" gap. And formulas we're supposed to Be well built, I do not know how any of them could be 100% dry.

Would the water in the laminations be caused by fiberglass that was not fully saturated with resin? Or do think it would have been moisture in the layup freezing and thawing like Dave mentioned?

Brian

I thought so too about formula being a well built boat..i have a 92 336 sr1,,the forward bulkhead in the engine bay is just painted plywood that was tabben ins bulkhead is the main bulkhead that the center of the top deck through bolts to..in my eyes my boat should go back to formula so they can do it the rite way because that bulkhead and part of the stringers forward from their is also painted wood that was tabbed in..i see why everything rots from the windshield back,formula dont put any fiberglass over their wood in that area..

sorry lilred i was venting lol..
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

It's all good! My 272 had an issue with the bulkhead also. Had it fixed while the motors were out.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a trend. The Formula 272 I had, had a mess of rot in the stringers and bulkheads. transom has issues as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I think a few things happened.
1, This stringer has been repaired before, who knows how well or what the glass was like then. I know the first time it was found years ago it was found because of a crack in the hull on the outside.
I'm guessing water got into the laminate then.
2, The stringer was completely rotted. Standing water in the stringer could possibly soaked into the laminate or had the freeze/thaw Dave spoke of.
As I kept grinding water actually kept coming out from under the glass.
My 43' is bone dry... wanna buy it before I start grinding??? stagger to begin in a couple of weeks (I hope)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lil red
any thought process you reccomend or considerations? or just leave it alone? It's broken this stringer twice now, but not sure how to blame the second break
the boat is under powered!!! lmao!!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

Always a comedian....
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

did you mean Canadian? lmao!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.