looking to build a mold for a winscreen from a existing windscreen >

looking to build a mold for a winscreen from a existing windscreen

Notices

looking to build a mold for a winscreen from a existing windscreen

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default looking to build a mold for a winscreen from a existing windscreen

i have a fiberglass windscreen for my baja sport 250 that i finally found after nearly 4 years of searching. to avoid future issues with finding a replacement and so i can possibly help some other people out i would like to use it to create a mold. can anyone help me out on what i need to do to create a mold so i can make a few of these? this is fiberglass not plexi like the stock one but its the same shape
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Not a terribly difficult process but it does take a bit of a seasoned hand and the proper tools, materials, etc.

First you need to make sure the part is as nice as you can get it, preferbly in gel. You'll need to determin the best place for a parting line and build a uniform wood structure that the actual part will be surounded by, this gives a surface that you can extend the actual part from and gives a consistant laminate where you will trim the final part to. Once this is all perfected it will need to be highly polished and waxed multiple times with a high temp parting wax. Because this is you first shot at mold building you will need to dust on several coats of PVA (polyvinylalcohol), it acts as a resistant barrier from your original part andthe mold you are going to lay up. Once the pva has dried for several hours spray on your tooling gel ad let that kick for a minimum of twelve hours, overnight basically. Now you need to stabilize the tooling with atleast two layers of carefully applied 1.5oz mat and let this cure out by itself. Now you'll need to build a heavy backing laminate to hold it all together, i use 1708 for everything but there more cost effective fabrics for mold work. Be creative and build a nice backedone out of fiberglass, wood, ???. This is the readers digest version but ya get the gist. We can get more detailed as the project unfolds, post pics if ya can
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-31-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
i have a fiberglass windscreen for my baja sport 250 that i finally found after nearly 4 years of searching. to avoid future issues with finding a replacement and so i can possibly help some other people out i would like to use it to create a mold. can anyone help me out on what i need to do to create a mold so i can make a few of these? this is fiberglass not plexi like the stock one but its the same shape
Where did you find the fiderglass one? I had a friend who made a mold of mine windscreen and was making them out of fiberglass. He only made one.