Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave >

Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave

Notices

Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave

Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave

How in the world do you pour this much foam and set the tanks down in time? I ordered sum pourable foam today to play around with but whats your suggestion on mounting these tanks??
Attached Thumbnails Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave-168.jpg   Foaming Gas Tanks- Help Dave-031-3-.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you set the tanks. Then pour it around the tanks in several batches of foam. I did it on my 27 Magnum.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered

make sure you have a hold-down strap or piece of wood across the top to keep the foam from pushing the tank up.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its got to have foam under it because of the steps which is a huge area to cover with foam. I dont have a better pic but some of it is ~6" thick

Last edited by Pokher Ace; 03-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by danhouck
you set the tanks. Then pour it around the tanks in several batches of foam. I did it on my 27 Magnum.
Originally Posted by danhouck
make sure you have a hold-down strap or piece of wood across the top to keep the foam from pushing the tank up.
what he said i do the same, pour in smaller batches. Let each one expand all the way till you start the next. You have to be careful that schit will do some damage if you put to much in a close cavity.

Dan, what Magnum do you have? I am starting a resto of one for my self. Currently i have a Klem Gem Sport copy but have decided to look for a real Mag. I have a pair of Arneson 6's and getting a pair of LS's built for it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 905 Likes on 324 Posts

do as they said and use small batches or really bad things happen. years ago at a buddy's marina some guy thought it would be a good idea to fill the front of his 18 foot boat with foam so he drilled a small opening to pour it in. he mixed a couple gallons of it and dumped it in all at once. it made a heck of a noise when the deck broke loose and lifted a foot off the hull.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by scottw
good food for thought.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Some other things to consider......
Make sure the cavity is well sealed. For instance, early (pre '94) Donzi Classics had a 3/4" PVC pipe set in the fore and aft tank bulkheads for draining the bow. Donzi installed the pipe in double sided rubber tape and it always allowed water into the compartment. The tanks were never finished in any way and corroded through. This may be a common problem in a lot of boats.
The solution is to seal the drain pipe in epoxy, and coat the tank w/coal tar epoxy. The new tank will probably last 50 years.
There can be a lot of pressure generated by the expanding foam. I usually temporarily bolted some 2" X 2" X 1/4" angles onto the outside of the top of the stringers so that it's easy to clamp some 2" X 4" lumber across the tank top.

Last edited by gcarter; 03-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

The method outlined in the article listed above is fine if you don't mind giving up 30% to 50% of your tank volume.
Also, it's very difficult if not practically impossible to support a Vee shaped belly tank in deep Vee hull because the tank section is constantly changing. Foam is a great solution if the tank is properly coated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.