Painting bottom of boat options >

Painting bottom of boat options

Notices

Painting bottom of boat options

Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting bottom of boat options

About to pull my 255 liberator off trailer to finish removing the old black bottom paint ive sand it down to white fiberglass

Wanting to back with a regular paint as its a trailer boat
Anyone ever roll paint on as I wont be able to flip it?
Was thinking about a acrylic auto paint with a lil hardner
Kind of like what guys are doing in bilge any thought
What about surface prep any primer or just roll iy over the white glass
After a good dust removing
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wanting to go back to the original white gelcoat thats under the bottom paint, or completely repaint the bottom with a different color automotive paint?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

if u want the white bottom sand with 320 on palm or air sander then wet sand 600 or 1000 depending on the scratches then if it needs more hit it with 1500. at that point buff a way and then wax. its a lot of work but will turn out grate.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Registered

no im going back with black paint the white i assume was what was under the gelcoat that probabaly got sanded off along time ago when some one bottom painted it
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by jason y
no im going back with black paint the white i assume was what was under the gelcoat that probabaly got sanded off along time ago when some one bottom painted it
you cant have just bottom paint over bare fiberglass..you have to seal it first with gelcoat or duratech..if your really not concerned just buy the gelcoat you want to use and mix it 50/50 with clear duratech and it will air dry like painy but will be alot stronger then paint..you can roll it on with a foam roller then lightly brush over it and it will flow like paint,let it kick off and do it again until you have enough coats on you frrl safe with which should be 40 ml thick..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

its not raw fiberglass.. its a white color almost like gel or primer if you sand it you see bare glass im assuming since the boat was blue gel coat orginally before being painted black with the bottom being bottom painted.. that the orginal blue gel may have gotten sanded off or something i dunno .. its a smotth finish white.. whatever it is..

i need something i can roll on that will come out good as i wont be able to spray it layin on the ground on my back... and i dont want antifouling bottom paint reason for sanding it down...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a reason that you don't want to spray?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by jason y
its not raw fiberglass.. its a white color almost like gel or primer if you sand it you see bare glass im assuming since the boat was blue gel coat orginally before being painted black with the bottom being bottom painted.. that the orginal blue gel may have gotten sanded off or something i dunno .. its a smotth finish white.. whatever it is..

i need something i can roll on that will come out good as i wont be able to spray it layin on the ground on my back... and i dont want antifouling bottom paint reason for sanding it down...
you need to put a barrior coat on the bottom..if you just use paint the waster WILL soak through the paint and will seep into the core then you will be phucked..If you really can see fiberglass then sand the whole bottom with 80 then 120 then you will need to spray duratech primer on it to seal it off so you dont get water intrusion..duratech VE primer would be a good option,its cheaper then you think ..likr under 100 bucks a gallon..goes on like feather fill then sans it after it cures and then bury it in gelcoat..do some reading ..http://www.duratec1.com/ApplicationGuideIndex.html

where to get it..http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec.html