Cabosil for gelcoat

Notices

Cabosil for gelcoat

Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabosil for gelcoat

Dave ,

I also a 1995 Sea ray that nee a few chips filled and buffed . As you know I hate gelcoat as I paint most of my boats but this one is my beater and looks pretty decent after I wet sanded with 800 and had a guy buff for a week . I was told mix in cabosil until desired thickness , place in sealed container overnight then mix in mek to amount needed . How much Mek , 2 %? How much wax ?

Larry
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

oh man . . . that Searay color is the worst to match. I have never tried cabosil and gel not sure what it will do to the color, it may lighten it a bit. Any time i needed to thicken up gel for a small patch i just put a bit in a small Dixie cup and left it in the sun for a day or so lol. Yep 2% for mek and 2% or 3% for wax as well.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Registered

I have tried cabosil with gel a few times and I always ended up little pits in it. It looked very similar to porosity but the pits were bigger.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Yes that is why I was told to leave mixed in sealed jar over night to avoid this . Dave I went to spectrum to get gelcoat . I had a buddy who buffs @ a body shop all day sand with 800 and buff under heavily lit conditions and it looks like a really nice . Trust me I wont settle for swirls however after decals were removed and under decals were blocked smooth I can see the virgin gelcoat ( where decal was ) is slightly darker that rest of boat . That said will new spectrum gelcoat be a match to buffed up gel or under decal gel ?

Larry