Notices

Bildge paint

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bildge paint

I know there have been tons of posts on this. I want to know for those of the guys that have used rustoleum white paint.Did you just use a enamel hardner ,a 2 part rustoleum paint or just a single stage. Thanks JOHN SR
Old 11-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

I use just plain old white rust oleum... What you would pour out of the can into a tray and roll it on to whatever you would normally paint. 4-6" rollers work well for a bilge. Just de grease it. And do a quick sand with like 60-80 grit to give it something to bite to.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I've always used interlux bilge paint. Yes, it costs more than rustoleum but the coverage is better and in my opinion looks a ton better when done.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
I know there have been tons of posts on this. I want to know for those of the guys that have used rustoleum white paint.Did you just use a enamel hardner ,a 2 part rustoleum paint or just a single stage. Thanks JOHN SR
I went with an sherwin williams macropoxy which will stick to ANYTHING! If I had to do it over I would have used Gel coat with duratec additive. If it already has paint stick with paint, if it is factory finish it may be gel. You might be surprised if you just clean what you have...people have no idea how much work it is to recoat a bilge and make it look nice.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I went with an sherwin williams macropoxy which will stick to ANYTHING! If I had to do it over I would have used Gel coat with duratec additive. If it already has paint stick with paint, if it is factory finish it may be gel. You might be surprised if you just clean what you have...people have no idea how much work it is to recoat a bilge and make it look nice.
I agree to do it right there is a ton of time involed. You can tell alot in a bilge if shortcuts were taken the new paint stands out.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree with JRider- Painting a bilge to look new is a TON of work and time. I'd hit it with a good degreaser. My 292 had a not so clean bilge, I sprayed it with some commercial degreaser, sprayed it off and it looked like new.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I did the Rustoleum paint. I did not use the hardener and if I did it again I would do the hardener. (not that I had any problems took a couple of weeks to harden) My bilge was destroyed when I bought my boat. The first chance when both engines were out I took on the task of cleaning and painting the bilge. I think I have over 50hrs cleaning, degreasing, cleaning, degreasing and scraping. If I had the opportunity to do it in gel I would also use the Duratech and gel that JR mentioned earlier. After shooting Duratecha and gel this summer it's a breeze.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511951[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Bildge paint-bilge.jpg   Bildge paint-bilge1.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Fresh bilge
Attached Thumbnails Bildge paint-20131011_180358.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used both rustoleum and bilge kote. They both came out looking nice but the rustoleum chipped off and wore easy while working in the bilge. It is 5 times the price but I would recommend using the bilge kote. It is alot thicker and hardens nice.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of rustoleum and harder has anyone used.Was it industrial or just regular.what was the brand hardener.Thanks Had it wrote down what I used but forgot.JOHN SR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.