Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect >

89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect

Notices

89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect

Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, you will be grinning ear to ear after you glass the first part back in.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

The right prep is everything and it looks like your there!........................wipe her with acetone and begin to reap all the hard work!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am also curios about getting a full size piece of plywood into the back of the boat. I will be converting my scarab from TRS to kaama surface drives next year and figured I might as well do the transom at the same time(if it's wet). My scarab has some pretty big stringers. I would have to cut them back pretty far I think to be able to get the plywood down in between them and the transom shell?

Thoughts?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

502, from my recent experience I don't know how in the hell someone can fit the new transom wood without removing at least half the stringer from aft forward. I put myself in some compromising positions figuring how bring the wood into my gutted bilge. It's a very tight fit getting it in there but once you do it's the same every time. mine would be a lot easier if I were to remove my outer stringers completely but that's a different story.

I'm going set my new wood in there at an angle leaving enough room for me to fit in between the wood and transom in order to resin and mat the existing transom. Then, turn around and resin the new wood. Then, jump out and re-enter in the forward part of the bilge and clamp install the new wood.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I did this all in one piece.............ofcourse the stringers had to be cut back on an angle.
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-img_6976.jpg   89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-img_7052.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered

Scippy, that looks nice. I may have to layup my transom in two sections, meaning one piece of plywood at a time. Both peices laminiated together may not fit through my opening. Here's a pic for reference, you can see how my opening chokes down the amount of room i have to fit in the new wood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518422[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-bilge.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Update - Transom is in and all holes that won't be reused have beed closed up also. Transom isn't complete but it's where I needed to get it to this week to drop it off and get the outside painted to match. The boat will be away now for about two weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]518777[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0630.jpg   89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0631.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Been a little slow getting the vinylester resin, finally picked it up today. I'm replacing my stringers completely and that is making a world of difference and how much more room I have. The stringers only showed any issues where the engine mounts were, otherwise they came out in rather large pieces. The trial fit of the 2 pieces of the plywood screwed together where the outdrives and exhaust cutouts are actually went better than I thought and I will glass them together tomorrow. I also screwed some cheap cabinet handles on where the drives will be cut out, makes handling much easier.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Scarab- I ended up glassing the two pieces together in my garage and managed to get that big piece into the bilge. It was tough but doable. I also did the big"no no" and cut the key holes in the garage as well. I outlined them when I test fitted the wood and got lucky
Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Here's the latest. Shop needs to blend in the starboard side a little more so won't get it back until next week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519471[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0645.jpg   89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0646.jpg   89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0647.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.