Notices

Powder coating

Old 01-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Powder coating

So I've kicked around the idea of powder coating all my cleats and rails. My question is how durable is powder coating? Chip easy? Typically does it last a couple years with normal wear and tear? I don't really have any expreince with it so any input would be appreciated!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

from my experience it all depends on who's doing it and how they do it!! I have had some powder coating done where i have bent the part to almost 90* (not by choice) and bent it back and it didnt so much as put a stress crack in it!! Other stuff i have had chip like automotive paint and then goes and peels...ask to see their work up close or get a sample part they can part with so you can do some abuse testing!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
So I've kicked around the idea of powder coating all my cleats and rails. My question is how durable is powder coating? Chip easy? Typically does it last a couple years with normal wear and tear? I don't really have any expreince with it so any input would be appreciated!
I've powder coated stuff like the "shoes" that interface between the control arms and skis on snowmobiles, the coils of shocks, underwater LEDs and all have held up very well I wou
D think cleats would be a good application
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a ton of stuff powder coated and it holds up very well! The intakes, all the pulleys, valve covers and air cleaners are all powdercoated. All the parts on the jet pump and the swim platforms are all powdercoated!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Well I guess that answer my question. Whats it cost?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Well I guess that answer my question. Whats it cost?
Sorry that I can't help you with! The guy that does mine likes beer so it's usually what ever the going cost of a 24 pack is!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Sorry that I can't help you with! The guy that does mine likes beer so it's usually what ever the going cost of a 24 pack is!
Heck I will send him my parts with a couple cases!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had all of my hardware redone some anodizsd most powder coated. went to the best shop i could find in my area [ absolute poudercoating ] i think around 70+ pieces around 250$ i think to strip and re coat looks as good as a couple of new pieces i purchased and had done also. just a note parts i had anodized cost a arm and leg and does not look as good ro hold up as well as powder coat.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gerg g.
had all of my hardware redone some anodizsd most powder coated. went to the best shop i could find in my area [ absolute poudercoating ] i think around 70+ pieces around 250$ i think to strip and re coat looks as good as a couple of new pieces i purchased and had done also. just a note parts i had anodized cost a arm and leg and does not look as good ro hold up as well as powder coat.
So you had 70+ pieces done for $250ish?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

What are you thinking for colors?

If you find a guy that does industrial/commercial powder coating he can usually put your parts in the oven with a bunch of other parts of the same color. Lots of these guys doing these big commercial jobs are always doing black, white, red, etc. I think a lot of the cost is in the fuel to run the ovens and prep if you want them to strip the parts. The powder isn't very expensive and very little labor to spray them because it doesn't take the time and precision like liquid paint. He just points the gun at the part and the paint is attracted to the metal like a magnet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.