Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Using finite element analysis FEA on a Formula 302

Using finite element analysis FEA on a Formula 302

To get it stronger and lighter.

First I drew the hull. Close not exact.

Original bulkheads and stringers

New ideas
I am looking to use COOSA so I can hole saw 6" holes in all the stringers for weight. Only one stringer showing lightning. I still need to get a few dims closer. I hope to run FEA to see if I can improve upon the heavy original design.

Cheers,

Last edited by cyrus77; 03-02-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Also this boat is made in 3 pieces the rear, the area drawn, and the front box stringers.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

If I follow this, your starting wiith a bare and gutted formula 302 hull?..............wouldn't that be a heavy starting point regardless of the non wood reengineering?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Cant do the holes. As strong as you think Coosa is, you would probably be better off with foam and a better composite.

FWIW - I use to sell a fatigue and durability software. They used it to put a JSF 35 into a 12G turn in a giant fixture with 100's of strain gauges at LMCO in Dallas. Talk about cool!
Right now you are just ballparking... Averages of averages of a hull that is kinda the same is a REALLY dangerous proposition. While it can be done, its just lipstick on a pig.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I would thing that by the time you add all the glass and resin on the inside of the swiss cheese you would negate the weight saving of swiss cheesing it. Its not billet metal where you just make a hole and your done...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Registered

Here are my thoughts (I am no means a boat expert or pretend to be)

The 302 Formula is a very light boat 6950 lbs Dry. Not bad for an old scow.

As far as the holes.
I am just thinking about it. I called coosa they said you can bore holes as long as it is structurally sound (meaning the coosa "bluewater 26" and plywood are equivalents, So if it strong enough in plywood it should be in Coosa.) And Coosa is 30% lighter to begin with.

As far as the design:
1. If I put new stringers in it, it is ahead of all of the rotten ones that are still being used.
2. It is pretty simple to see what the designers were accomplishing with there design, seem pretty straight forward to improve upon this as I am only doing a variation.
3. I have more FEA tools then Formula had when they designed the system orignially.

Also I was not planning on glassing the holes in. I would leave them bare and glass only where it required. I agree glass them would negate any weight savings.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Cant do the holes. As strong as you think Coosa is, you would probably be better off with foam and a better composite.\\\\\\\\\\\
Please clarify.
Thx.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

your will probably add more weight to the Coosa by hole sawing it and you will compromise its ability to carry a load, its not like metal, you will have to band the edge of the holes in a layer or two glass that will probably weigh about what you just cut out. Your best bet if you want to lighten this thing is going to be a simple well thought out (balanced) laminate schedule. using preforms is a good choice as well but you can also go with one of Coosas lighter panels and rely on your laminate for the load. You may want to also think about bagging everything.

I work with Coosa all the time and would not consider drilling those kind of holes. its a great product but as a stand alone panel with swiss cheezed holes your gonna be pushing it
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 03-02-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

I typed that as you replied that you would not be banding the holes. without any sort of roundover and a layer of glass stress will propagate very quickly. this is a very dynamic environment
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

Glass Dave Thanks
Scratch the hole idea. What kind of preforms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.