Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Stripped out lag bolt holes in glass, need help?? >

Stripped out lag bolt holes in glass, need help??

Notices

Stripped out lag bolt holes in glass, need help??

Old 05-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
take a small amount of vinylester resin and some chopped up fiberglass mat..kick off the resin so it will give you a long cure time,,mask off the area with masking tape and poly paper..cut out the holes in rthe masking tape that need to be plugged,,,now filll the holes with the chopped glass and resin,,pack it good,,i use a drift pin and a plastic dead blow hammer so pack the holes full of the resin fiberglass mix,,dont be scared to pack it full and the resin will ooze out the holes leaving the wet fiberglass..i have filled many many holes and never had any come back loose..
this is exactly what i was going to say. theres no real mixture with the mat:resin. i kind of go by a peanut butter consistency but just mix the resin and pull apart the matt and drop it into the resin and mix little by little. you dont want a fast kicking resin because if your not a glass guy it will not be a quick nor clean job lol good luck!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plexus MA-530 will also work to fill in the holes, strong stuff, actually you could probably epoxy the bolts right in place but you might never get them out again!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

On the 288 sunny there is a backing plate that should go on the top side of the bottom of the swim platform. Helped a friend install his swim ladder with some tips from the sunsation folks. Is this not a factory swim ladder? Sunsation wouldn't have just lagged it up in there.