West Systems bonding epoxy

Notices

West Systems bonding epoxy

Old 06-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
On the inside I used the Six10 at the joint. I then put a strip of glass over it. I then rolled more epoxy over that. I hope that will work.

keep in mind when using epoxy that it relies 100% on mechanical bond. in other words any surface that has epoxy applied it needs to be 100% sanded or ground, not just cleaned over lightly by hand but thoroughly sanded/roughed up. the percentage of bond strength is directly proportional to prep.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with Dave. You would not be able to "feel" any flex in 5200 although it has some elasticity. A light tabbing of glass with epoxy or whatever is just a bandaid and will not withstand repeated cycles of slamming. On my personal boats that I build, the deck and hull sides are one bonded laminate with four to six layers of lamination on the outside and on the inner side. They are not going to delaminate under most foreseeable conditions. Many manufacturers just do not laminate proper scantlings no matter what the designer specified. Limited tabbing will help, but in my experience 5200 will be superior if you do not have access and do not do stepped tabbing. I will let Dave weigh in on this. Good luck. Bob.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

one of the problems with injecting epoxy into a blind void is you have no way of knowing it's condition and also no way of doing any sort of prep. For a standard marine shoe box joint I would have to agree 5200 is probably best if you cannot do a fully tabbed joint.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rookie
On the inside I used the Six10 at the joint. I then put a strip of glass over it. I then rolled more epoxy over that. I hope that will work.
you also need to through bolt the hull,,use 3/4x3/4 ss box tube on the inside..each through hole about 6'' apart and the box tube 3'' in legnth..
Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
you also need to through bolt the hull,,use 3/4x3/4 ss box tube on the inside..each through hole about 6'' apart and the box tube 3'' in legnth..
my scarabIII was done like that except they used a piece of rubrail on the inside. was actually a pretty good idea and seemed to give it some good clamping force
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
my scarabIII was done like that except they used a piece of rubrail on the inside. was actually a pretty good idea and seemed to give it some good clamping force
Those are great suggestions. Maybe I'll just stop where I'm at for right now and enjoy the summer. Then over the winter redo the whole hull. And as always thanks for the input.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying to use the box tube like a big washer? or is there another reason to add box tube?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I'm assuming yes to use it as the washer. But, using the full length it will give it structure and rigidity along the length of the hull.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Just an fyi.... poly over epoxy doesnt work very well. Once you start with epoxy you pretty much have to stay with epoxy.
If this was directed at me (I don't mean that in a crappy way)....
I used the epoxy to fill the gap and bond the previous tab back to the hull. The poly was applied to the top side of the tab to the hull. So aside from some very small spots where the epoxy oozed out, the polyurethane resin / chop mat was bonded to existing polyester surface. I took it out into some pretty nasty stuff over the weekend and the repair looks good. However time will tell. Again, Aside from using the Six10 I don't think my repair was really much like the OP.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good place to buy any Plexus adhesives, less than half the price of jamestown and they actually have stuff in stock. http://www.compositesone.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.