Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Just got a quote to paint boat, SHOCKED! >

Just got a quote to paint boat, SHOCKED!

Notices

Just got a quote to paint boat, SHOCKED!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i didn't realize the price of the paint and primer, i figured all white just on the sides wouldn't of been much work, guess i was wrong, with the engine out and having some work this winter i guess the paint will have to wait until next winter, thanks for the input.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually quote $100/ft retail unless the boat is really trashed. Thats with Dupont or PPG urethane. If a guy wants to save a few bucks, PPG and Dupont both have lines of economy urethanes ( Omni for PPG , Nason by Dupont). I'll give them an even better deal if they pull rubrail and stickers. A 25' Baja should take 8 to 10hrs for 1 person ( bodywork and prime 1st day 4/5 hrs, 2nd day fill,sand ,tape & spray 4/5 hrs).You should spend about $250 In materials for the good or $150 for economy for a 25 ' boat.That includes urethane primer, paint ,tape paper ect. Thats not for a sh!tty hack job, it's for quality , durable paint work. Most customers land somewhere in the middle, If your Baja is in good cond , you would be out the door for about $2000. 2 bad I'm in FLA.!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's cheeeeeep" if we where to do it at winter price alone would be 4-6. I'm imron or delfleet. Better make sure it's gonna be a good job! Had a 27 foot a guy last year wouldn't spend the extra 1000 with us and guess what... He's back his newly badass ,cheap painter and paint job is coming off in sheets!!! Now it's more just to remove what numb nuts did. The bondo repairs where nice too he really went all out and used red and blue hardners !!!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is there to do as far as "bodywork"? If there aren't any scratches or anything couldn't you just prime and paint? The boat is clean, it just has a pink and purple Fing stripe on the side.... I am no painter by any means, I am sure there is more to it than just priming and painting it though. If I knew someone that painted cars could they pull painting a boat off?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered

Yes they could. First step is too acid wash the hull, wash, rinse, dry. Then sand and prime. Now it's block party time. After that's all done wash boat again and blow off till dry. Remask boat and lay down whatever color or base etc. Let dry. Then it's another block party with nibbing dirt and polish. Then put back together. If the guy doing it for 3000 does all this then it's a win. Hopefully they don't just mask the rubrail, put an excellent epoxy primer down and the good paint. Are they gonna chop it up with a d.a.sander? There's tons of variables. There's at least12-1300 in materials. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Boat should be spelled boatt . Break out another ten thousand......
Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Long flat surfaces, I guarantee those stripes are raised to some degree so a lot of sanding to flatten the surface, or you'll see the outline forever, then there is overhead. It costs a fortune to have a shop big enough to work on and paint boats in.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Registered

Thank you^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Just the sides or above the rail? Maybe a touch high for chine to rubrail, cheap for chine to gunnel/gunwale top. Quality of work and material has a lot to do with it as well.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered

That would make a difference^^^^^^ guess we should have asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.