27PC Transom Repair >

27PC Transom Repair

Notices

27PC Transom Repair

Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
ok guys all this exchange of info is part of my master plan . . . ya see your all in training . . . . some day im gonna franchise . . . . . theres gonna be a "glassdaves" on every corner . . . . just like McDonalds
A drive-thru window would be a cool feature to have with the franchises

I think a good thing (for AllDodge) to do at this point would be to make a cardboard template of the full transom to see if it will actually fit through the opening to the engine compartment. If it won't fit, then it is onto 'Plan B'. . .

Last edited by tpenfield; 10-29-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Sorry guys, had some friends show up (been waiting for them) to help me tear apart parts of my deck and redo. Been a heck of a job, deck has need here since 1969 and some of the wood on the under side needed replaced. Still have more to do and got the big stuff done.

The issues I'm running into are access (main point) and secondary is it appears 75 percent of the transom is solid. and third I'm having a heck of a time just getting any of the good transom out. The stuff which has no rot is like a brick. Got a new Rigid oscillating tool and it barely makes a dent. Tool says don't push to had so I'm not but maybe need to push more. Will probably get back into to if fully in a few more days.

Sure appreciate all the input good, bad, a different, never done anything like this before by my self.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, same here. 85-90% of my transom was perfect dry and solid. I used a combination of Circular saw, 7" and 4" grinders, and my oscillating saw, some times 1" at a time to get it all out. If there is no way to get a one piece transom in the hole, you could cut off the last 6" or so of the deck cap, slide the transom in and glass the cap back on, obviously that would require some exterior gel coat work, but you would then have a good solid transom that you can rely on.

(Sent from GlassDaves future Chicagoland location)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

Haven't done much with the transom, been working on the homes deck, will get back with it soon.

Took an 8ft 2x4 and tried to put it in the engine compartment, this cannot be done. Hatch opening at widest part is 4' 4", at widest angle came to 5ft. Engine stringers are 2' 6" apart. So no matter if I remove the entire transom or part of it, the transom will go back together in pieces. I'm leaning right now for partial replacement. Would be nice if I had a go fast or runabout because there would be plenty of room, on this cruiser there is little.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I've read and saw illustrated a full transom replace in the reverse order of things from outside the boat.........think of how much eassier that would be in your case. If your interested to know more I'll refer to the book I read it from...............let me know!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 572 Likes on 237 Posts

something to consider and I encourage GlassDaves feedback on this

I am not a big fan of partial replacements either but in this situation I think there is something to consider.

From the bottom of the transom up to the top 1/3 of the transom assembly cutout is a leveraged inward force be applied.And the top 1/3rd pf the hole is a outward pulling force,

The upper portion is still quite solid . So if you just replaced the bottom 2 feet of the wood where the majority of the force is being applied and glassed the new wood in heavily to the stringers. I think that would be a very solid partial replacement.

What do you think?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Registered

I have to agree with you Tommy, and cutting through the outer skin is out of the question for me
Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I have to agree with you Tommy, and cutting through the outer skin is out of the question for me
Or cutting up your deck

Just picture a lower narrower hull say as wide as your stringers and as high as your outdrive cutout. Everything else around that dimension is simply excess.Yea you are gaining strength from the transom tying into the sides but the majority of the inward force is be transferred to the stringers.

Last edited by tommymonza; 11-02-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Or cutting up your deck

Just picture a lower narrower hull say as wide as your stringers and as high as your outdrive cutout. Everything else around that dimension is simply excess.Yea you are gaining strength from the transom tying into the sides but the majority of the inward force is be transferred to the stringers.
No way am I going to cut the deck up. As Clint Eastwood said, A man's has got to know his limitations. There are pics of the stern of my boat in the other thread. The top of my transom is directly under the back of the boat where you see the name. This is also a compartment where the fenders and rear seat is stowed to open the engine hatch
Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Scarf the new plywood on the old plywoodand use a staggered seam on your new dbl plywood with Epoxy and I think you will be more than better than new

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.