Cause and Concern??

Notices

Cause and Concern??

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
I've seen what you are talking about. It happened on a 97 flat deck and had to be repaired at the factory. Split the deck right in front of the engine bay bulkhead about 8 inches on both sides. My boat thank goodness has not shown any stressing in that area.

The issue I noted on my boat is on the outside of a strake and runs vertical. After taking a die grinder tonight to investigate the area, my concerns are less as it appears to be a superficial wound. Only skin/gel deep.

Next question is what should I purchase to fix/seal this back up?
yeah thats the one, was a few years ago and sounded like an isolated incedent.

What did you hit it with on the grinder? I use 36 for all grinding, Pro Boat did a test on repair bonds and found 36 to be optimal. You'll want to scarf that back gradually and give youself a bit of room for a few layers of 1208 or 1708 and use only vinylester resin, poly is crap for repairs. I like 1208 for smaller surface repairs as I can bring the area up more consistently within the stack. I would do this in three stages of glass, the first layers of biax let cure and grinder finish to close rough shape then use a couple layers of ounce and a half mat for print control then finalize it with 3M's premium marine. Never use automotive fillers on the running surface, I generally finish glass to a point where no filler is needed and only a few coats of gel necessary to finish it out.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

We'll hey I'll try some if the stuff you mentioned! I was just saying that's the way we do it and have never had one issue with it. Was just posting to get the guy some options to do it himself.