Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Need Advice on how to make some releifs in the underside of my engine comartment hatc >

Need Advice on how to make some releifs in the underside of my engine comartment hatc

Notices

Need Advice on how to make some releifs in the underside of my engine comartment hatc

Old 12-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Dont cut anything. Go buy a piece of 1 inch thick oak (by 1 inch wide), wrap it in white vinyl and put it between your seat and your engine hatch. Put 2 screws into it - more than likely the top of your seat already has wood there anyway. The slight angle will never get noticed. The 1 inch strip will never get recognized.

Or you can unbolt the backrest and move it up so the pad doesnt come down as far.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or if the underside is just a plastic insert use a heat gun on the area and close the hatch to make a imprint..i like the spacer idea better..
Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a plunge router with a template. Make perfect plunge cuts then gel coat them back up.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

are the current hoses 90s or they curve back? Hard to see from the pic, but could you just get a 90 fitting and make it turn? Or like Keith said, put a spacer, but the 1" might not give you 1" clearance as its closer to the hinges.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a thought here...... If there is room. Crawl in with the engines and have some one shut the hatch for you. Look at the hoses with a flashlight , and feel them with your fingers ( If you can ) . The might only be touching the Hatch when the hoses are warm , and expanded slightly from the hot water and pressure . That wouldn't be much of a problem. The spacer idea would be the cleanest and easiest to me.