90 TopGun fiberglass repair >

90 TopGun fiberglass repair

Notices

90 TopGun fiberglass repair

Old 12-07-2014, 10:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't think they had that back then?; it seemed to be 90deg woven and chop strand.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

looks good, sorry i missed your call yesterday. What are you spraying gel with, what kind of gun? On build up and fairing you will go through in places as you go. Thats common, especially on big repairs like yours.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to wet sand the gel to get it smooth, typically it lays up with orange peel unless its in a nice shiny mold. I have a boat builder friend her that has been building for 35 years and just asked him the same question when I saw a repair that was not smooth
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

looks like a fun project! did you buy it with the damage or was it your boat and the damaged happened?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's a lot of work. Is the storage place or the other boats insurance paying up or is that why your doing the repair yourself? Either way I feel bad for you looks like s nice gun
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
looks good, sorry i missed your call yesterday. What are you spraying gel with, what kind of gun? On build up and fairing you will go through in places as you go. Thats common, especially on big repairs like yours.
Thanks Dave. I first sprayed the gel with a dump gun but found this cool 3M gun with disposable liners and tip. It has a nicer spray pattern and requires no cleaning with acytone! but so far still have a dimpled texture. I found that if I step the sanding from 80-120-180-220-320 the gel is mostly still there other than some pin holes. I will fill and re-spray.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by shepnic74
Wow that's a lot of work. Is the storage place or the other boats insurance paying up or is that why your doing the repair yourself? Either way I feel bad for you looks like s nice gun
No, I bought this way as a project! But never realized it was this big a repair so still need the sympathyLOL. The boat was dry stored in Michigan and then I bought it from the guy who picked it up at auction.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Respray with gel. Then sand and polish . That will give the nice finish. Then your graphic can be laid out and painted.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbrowni
No, I bought this way as a project! But never realized it was this big a repair so still need the sympathyLOL. The boat was dry stored in Michigan and then I bought it from the guy who picked it up at auction.
DANG wish i would have known about this! looking good!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jsbrowni
heads up..sand off the graffix first,,resand and block the gel you sprayed..if you can get a spraygun with a 2.5 tip and mixing yout gelcoat with duratec clear will give you a smooth finish..if you want the color to match with out any blend lines paint the whole side of the boat from tip of the bow all the way to the transom of the boat..