Deck project help >

Deck project help

Notices

Deck project help

Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Deck project help

I am working on my 32 spectra deck mods. Pictures are not completely up to date however close. I have just come a little further with the completion of glassing in the side where you can see. I wanted to get as much of that glass work done before getting to the center raised section.

The center section is raised appx 1" from the other part of the deck and also has a slight radious to it as well. For those of you who are following me so far I would say over the 2 1/2" span the very center is close to 3/4" higher than that of the sides of the center portion. With that said I need to find something plyable to get the radious as well as a relative durable yet flat surface so I can glass over it and blend to the deck and windscreen area.

My thought was to cut out 1/4" lewon piece and to glue and screw in underneath the deck right behind and under where the hatch is so I can keep the same curvature and dead end into windscreen. With this said I would grind/taper all edges and glass to existing deck allowing to build up with appropriate layers of glass 1/4" plus or minus.

Ideally what ever material I use I would like it to be able to obsorb the glass to become United as well as to be able to glass the underside/inside as well with off couse cross members etc.

Kind of difficult for me to explain however the pictures will give you better idea of what I'm doing. Thanks very much for any help in the right direction here.

John[ATTACH=CONFIG]538719[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538720[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538719[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538720[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538722[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Deck project help-image.jpg   Deck project help-image.jpg   Deck project help-image.jpg  

Deck project help-image.jpg   Deck project help-image.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered

The last picture is what I will be glassing also but not as concerned with that at the moment. With help on the other I will be able to more than likely use the same advice on that when the time comes.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered

Anybody. Spring is here and boat needs to hit the water. Another thing I though of is to cut the piece out of lewon and get it to shape and glass over the top of it with an 1/8 or so so glass with wax paper between and separate and glass it in without the lewon? Build up from there and tie in.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i looked this over last night and was trying to put together a user friendly do-it-yourselfer type of of layup but didnt get back to it. You need to be careful with lofting arbitrarily from scratch to obtain a certain end result, it is very easy to over build and end up with a laminate that can be wet/heavy and weak. Didnt you call me once on this? This is an interesting project, i would probably loft a quickie mold and build the part off the boat or maybe flat deck the whole thing.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i looked this over last night and was trying to put together a user friendly do-it-yourselfer type of of layup but didnt get back to it. You need to be careful with lofting arbitrarily from scratch to obtain a certain end result, it is very easy to over build and end up with a laminate that can be wet/heavy and weak. Didnt you call me once on this? This is an interesting project, i would probably loft a quickie mold and build the part off the boat or maybe flat deck the whole thing.
Hey tks Dave.
No I never called you on it however you kinda got me started on it years ago. Project kinda got set aside with other things going on however I am determined to get it done. It's a project you look at and shake your head and wonder why the heck you took on such a thing. Especially when the most I've glassed is a small repair here and there. I think I will take your advice on the making the center section off the boat and glass it in. Do the best I can getting it straight - prime and block several times and paint for now.

Perhaps cut it all out and build a new deck from the windscreen forward in a couple of years.

The boat is kinda a cool and only has like 360 hrs however I really disliked the old day cruiser look!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Update on old side windows. Lining up deck to it's new home took some finagling but starting to take shape. I had to build up the pilar area in increments of glass but got it close enough prior to glassing in window. Will start to add multile layers of glass to achieve 1/4" or so and then blend into windscreen area. It's coming along and gonna move to the center deck next. Thought I'd do the side panels first to get a better feel for what needs to be done. Many have said I'm crazy for taking on such a project however that's ultimately what made me do it. Ha
Attached Thumbnails Deck project help-image.jpg   Deck project help-image.jpg   Deck project help-image.jpg  

Deck project help-image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is it spelt lewon? Dang, I've been writing luan at work all this time.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
Is it spelt lewon? Dang, I've been writing luan at work all this time.
Good call bro. Sometimes I have a tendency to spell words the same way they fall out of my mouth. My bad. Lol
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

We use a lot of that stuff at work. You had me thinking I've been writing it down wrong this whole time!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i used to work at a print shop. big roll presses.
club magazine actually. anyway, the old plates are real thin aluminum and can mold well to be used as backing to form glass up to. did quite a few rotted out mustang rear quarters that way. pop rivet them on. spray with pam. lay up glass. pull the plates off. something like that may work on either side for closing the side windows. heck they are flat...maybe even some lou on plywood...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.