replacing  main stringer and transom >

replacing main stringer and transom

Notices

replacing main stringer and transom

Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have had three Scarabs and all were done exactly like that. Build quality after 88 was pretty good with the brand but it is just some major oversights like this that come back to haunt them. My 38 Thunder is the same way and will need new everything and some re designing along the way. Actual layup is good for a production boat for that time. Keep the pics coming, Dave will take care of ya he's been doing this a long time . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 89 Scarab III had the exhaust exits molded into the swim platform. The exits sat just above the waterline. the 5in exhaust tips were installed and sealed from the inside. this left the outside to soak up any water that would eventually make its way between the exhaust tip and cut out. That's an obvious "7 P's" right there (Piss Poor Planning Provides Piss Poor Performance). It did make it 23 years though before I gutted it and rebuilt the bilge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540550[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails replacing  main stringer and transom-imag0516.jpg   replacing  main stringer and transom-imag0519.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

ramos45...my scarab was the same,,,had that funky exhaust going thru swim platform...some one applied ,,i guess 5200 all over covering existing hole and nothing more from the outside, but then added a plate on inside. but transom was real nice and dry rotted all around there..
i am not sure what i am going to do better exactly...hard to get up in there and do anything. i honestly wish my scarab didnt have that gay looking swim platform.

did u close urs off on the outside some how?????

flash..............out

Last edited by flashgordon; 04-29-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Registered

I completely sealed them off. From the inside my new transom wood closed the holes then from the outside I filled in with cabosil thickened resin. If I were to do it again I would make a plug from wood the closest thickness of the remaining void. I now have some cracking in the paint in the circle pattern of the old holes. I ditched the platform and got a new aluminum platform. I liked the old one, it matched the boat and made the it look more sleek but it does have its drawbacks in design.

Forgot to mention, I also ditched the stock exhaust design and went to 4 4" holes straight out the back.

Last edited by ramos45; 04-29-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love and hate to see these threads. Love to see people keeping these older boats running, hate to be reminded about the work I have ahead of me! Just finished de rigging mine, it's ready for the knife!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Registered

I'm dreading pulling mine out of storage, I feel I'll be in the same boat.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Registered

I still have nightmares about it.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ramos45
I completely sealed them off. From the inside my new transom wood closed the holes then from the outside I filled in with cabosil thickened resin. If I were to do it again I would make a plug from wood the closest thickness of the remaining void. I now have some cracking in the paint in the circle pattern of the old holes. I ditched the platform and got a new aluminum platform. I liked the old one, it matched the boat and made the it look more sleek but it does have its drawbacks in design.

Forgot to mention, I also ditched the stock exhaust design and went to 4 4" holes straight out the back.
ramos45,,,what is cabosil??...guess i can google it...my boat is same..with 4 exhaust outlets now...it is sort hard to get up inside my factory swin platform. u can get like one hand up in there. after my new transom,,the inside will closed offf.....but the outside..no,,,i though about filling or brush west system 105 in there???

u got any other photos of ur scarab 3.........as i had one also...looks like u have some graphics going there...like to see better...........
flash ....out

Last edited by flashgordon; 04-30-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ramos45
My 89 Scarab III had the exhaust exits molded into the swim platform. The exits sat just above the waterline. the 5in exhaust tips were installed and sealed from the inside. this left the outside to soak up any water that would eventually make its way between the exhaust tip and cut out. That's an obvious "7 P's" right there (Piss Poor Planning Provides Piss Poor Performance). It did make it 23 years though before I gutted it and rebuilt the bilge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540550[/ATTACH]

haha.like the 7 P's........also like the KISS theory...KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered

for whatever reason I can't upload pics at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.