Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Benefits of making a mold? >

Benefits of making a mold?

Notices

Benefits of making a mold?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 79 Posts

To answer the origional question, for what you are doing, making a mold for the part there really isn't too much of an advantage. Because most often the reason for making a mold is for 1 of 2 reasons. 1) to make the part multiple times. And 2) to vac bag the part making it as strong and as light as possible. And it seems just like you are doing a custom wind screen and a center throttle.. Neither of which really will effect weight that much that you need to worry about 15 lbs rather than 20lbs added. Id say just mold it on the boat with raw materials, wood, plexy etc, shape it, and glass it in and body work it.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

only benefit in my mind would be if your planning on making more pieces or if you were trying to save weight. You can lay up a part in a mold lighter then you could "one-offing" it......potentially anyway

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yep . . . . building a part in a mold allows far greater laminate continuity and balance. You can certainly build moldless but it takes a seasoned hand and lots of experience, its much more then just ending up with the shape you want using a bunch of filler. Theres an art to the process and no one has perfected it better then Skater, all their decks are moldless lofts to give you an idea of what can be done. In the end its really a question of what process is gonna give you the best results, some parts are simply easier to knock out a quickie plug and mold and some parts are just easier to make the part oldschool . . . . . .

personally I dont like using fillers in any of the shaping process and use just a few coats of gel to finalize the new partafter the glass work is done. This makes the process of lofting from scratch fairly time consuming and can sometimes equal or exceed the time it takes to build a plug quick and dirty and pop a mold. It can be a margin call that takes into account part shape, location, expected useful life, etc . . . . .

im sure this does not help one bit
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-21-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

I used to have the privileged to participate working with Paul Mann and building these BADD MFOs. We did not even know how to spell the word MOLD.

http://www.paulmanncustomboats.com/

One of the Absolute most honest and nicest guys you could ever meet..

I would love to go boat shop hopping up there some day with you DAVE.

You would be in Heaven. People there are Great. Love to talk Real Boats

Last edited by tommymonza; 04-21-2015 at 11:52 PM.