Benefits of making a mold? >

Benefits of making a mold?

Notices

Benefits of making a mold?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Benefits of making a mold?

I have some one off stuff we're doing for my fountain project. Seems like a lot of work to make a plug, then a mold and then layup a part. I've never done any mold work, for a one off part why not just make the part out of the core material and layup over it then finish it? Seems like you'd have to do that for the plug anyway right? I'm sure I don't fully understand the exact process or reasons why so that's why I am asking
Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Watcha making?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i guess you have to fab the part first to the shape-size you want it. so you must use stuff you can work-shape till you have the piece. plywood, plexi, cardboard, coffee can lids...unless you can eyeball it a little smaller so the glass you pull off it is the correct finished size, you really have little choice but to make one that is too big and use it for the mold. either that or use the plywood, plexi...as finished product.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-19-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Watcha making?
Console, dash, and windshield. Seems like twice the work to do the plug, mold and then the part, when I can cut the core material to shape glass it in and then finish it. I can see obviously doing it for parts that don't have or need core.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the plus side of the mold is you post build pics and everybody sez "where can i get that setup?" because a mold is really only 1 or 2 layups of the part, not the whole thing. worst part is sweating whether the glass will release from the mold twice...once when making the mold and again for the finished part. and then there is storing the mold cuz you can't justify throwing that much work away...
Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Registered

Pretty sure there won't be much of a market for a part that requires completely cutting the cockpit out of a 12 meter and limiting cabin access to someone under 6' and 200 lbs.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
I have some one off stuff we're doing for my fountain project. Seems like a lot of work to make a plug, then a mold and then layup a part. I've never done any mold work, for a one off part why not just make the part out of the core material and layup over it then finish it? Seems like you'd have to do that for the plug anyway right? I'm sure I don't fully understand the exact process or reasons why so that's why I am asking
I did a "one off" male mold for my Magnum engine hatch which was missing when I bought the boat. I used 1/4" luan to get the right shape and crown framed it then plastic wrapped it to pull the piece easily after glassing the male mold (built it exactly as if it were the part but left it 3/8" shy around the perimeter................fit like a glove!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Console, dash, and windshield. Seems like twice the work to do the plug, mold and then the part, when I can cut the core material to shape glass it in and then finish it. I can see obviously doing it for parts that don't have or need core.
i would agree that it seems like for those items it would make more sense to just build out of plywood or starboard and then glass it after! I would think the biggest benefit of a mold is for production runs
Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

the biggest problem with lofting a one off part is laminate continuity and uniformity in the final part. It can be done but it takes a bit of planing, you have to take a lot of care with edges and joints. Ive done them both ways, it just depends on how rough a service life the final part is gonna have.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Registered

Did an experiment last night, had to fill a hole in a engine hatch from a cruiser, so I taped a piece of wax paper over the hole and then Formica over that, cut a piece of core to go in the hole, put some csm down then core then 1708 over it, when I flipped it this morning the wax paper side just needs a light sand and paint. I get it now. Keeping the dash flat without the mold would be tough or a lot of long board sanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.