Gel Coat in bilge >

Gel Coat in bilge

Notices

Gel Coat in bilge

Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel Coat in bilge

Just had new transom put in and the shop gel coated what they replaced. I purchased more waxed gel coat and harder from transom shop and mixed and applied as told to the rest of the bilge. After 24 hours its hard but tacky. Tried a heat gun to a spot and became more tacky. Does it need more time? What do I need to do to fix this if there is a problem?. Also will cured gel coat clean up easily from dirt and oil or will stain?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

waxed gel can still be tacky, its hit or mis I've had some brands dry as a bone and others still tacky. If I'm ever in doubt i PVA it its a guaranteed cure. If your goal is a gloss gel finish best bet is to build up in waxed or pva'd gel sand down and use a Duratec/gel blend for final coat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-29-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

So I can sand up the waxed gel and then use the gel/Duratec blend for another coat. Is this gel with no wax or with wax?
This is a 50/50 mix correct?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes you can sand the waxed gel with 80 then with 180 and top coat it with a 50/50 duratec-gel mix with no wax.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and i never had any problems with waxed gel..but i have mixed patch aid into it so it flows better..
Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Do not use Duratec in your gel for your bilge as that is not what its used for. You most likely over catalyzed it which will cause it to remain sticky and for that matter there is at least a half of dozen other reasons why it didn't surface cure so without knowing what exactly u did I cant give u the reason. U mentioned heat gun to which was the worst thing u could possibly due to try and make it cure as all that does is flash the catalyst out of the gel. It sounds like u must be dealing with cold temps an if that's the case u should have used a heat lamp (with caution) if u didn't have any PVA. What u can do is get yourself a gallon of acetone as well as a few good sized rags and soak the rag and wipe one direction across from one side to the other then give it a few and see if u need to wipe again. Remember to use a clean rag each time because if u don't all u will do is keep wiping the same sticky **** right back onto it !! I have never had any problem with waxed gel not surface curing but I will tell u right now Do Not Use the Duratec in your gel for your bilge. Don't get get me wrong here I love Duratec and Im good friends with the guy who formulated and makes that stuff. Whenever u use Duratec u have to sand it once it cures and let it sit for a day once sanded and unless u plan on sand and buffing your bildge u really should just catalyze gelcoat and apply it anyway u want and then spray with PVA and don't mess with it until the next day. The next day go in with a bucket of slightly soapy water and sponge and scrub the green until its gone and u will have shiny gelcoat. If u use wax (surfacing agent) the gel will not cure shiny and u will be in for some serious work to make it shine. I hope this helps u if u have any questions feel free to contact me.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Polyflaker
Do not use Duratec in your gel for your bilge as that is not what its used for. You most likely over catalyzed it which will cause it to remain sticky and for that matter there is at least a half of dozen other reasons why it didn't surface cure so without knowing what exactly u did I cant give u the reason. U mentioned heat gun to which was the worst thing u could possibly due to try and make it cure as all that does is flash the catalyst out of the gel. It sounds like u must be dealing with cold temps an if that's the case u should have used a heat lamp (with caution) if u didn't have any PVA. What u can do is get yourself a gallon of acetone as well as a few good sized rags and soak the rag and wipe one direction across from one side to the other then give it a few and see if u need to wipe again. Remember to use a clean rag each time because if u don't all u will do is keep wiping the same sticky **** right back onto it !! I have never had any problem with waxed gel not surface curing but I will tell u right now Do Not Use the Duratec in your gel for your bilge. Don't get get me wrong here I love Duratec and Im good friends with the guy who formulated and makes that stuff. Whenever u use Duratec u have to sand it once it cures and let it sit for a day once sanded and unless u plan on sand and buffing your bildge u really should just catalyze gelcoat and apply it anyway u want and then spray with PVA and don't mess with it until the next day. The next day go in with a bucket of slightly soapy water and sponge and scrub the green until its gone and u will have shiny gelcoat. If u use wax (surfacing agent) the gel will not cure shiny and u will be in for some serious work to make it shine. I hope this helps u if u have any questions feel free to contact me.
I don't understand what the problem is using duratec in the bilge? It's a bilge and it looks great. And why would you need to sand it?...its a bilge.

Last edited by JRider; 07-06-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered

Duratec should never be used where there is potential for water as water is the enemy for Duratec. as it will turn the gel cloudy and flat and sometimes the gel just loses its bond Its a great product don't get me wrong here as it has its uses and why would u put Duratec/gel in your bilge?? It sounded to me like you wanted the bilge area to be as nice as the rest of the boat so if not worried just refrain from wondering about sanding and Duratec.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey bud, coming from you water it the biggest evil in the world, if my boat is in the water for five minutes my duratec will milk out and blister into nothing...While in reality people leave their boats in a slip with no problem.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone's help. West marine sold me finish gel coat gloss for the top coat. Could not be happier, turn out nice.