Awlgrip on outdrive? >

Awlgrip on outdrive?

Notices

Awlgrip on outdrive?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awlgrip on outdrive?

Any reason not to use awlgrip on an outdrive? I would think it would be the best thing to use... I have some awlgrip epoxy primer i got for free so I figure il just order a quart of jet black awlgrip and be done with it.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Should prime bare metal first with Zinc Chromate primer.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I had my lowers painted with awlgrip. They got some small blistering after being in the water for 5 -6 days.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does Mercury paint the new ones with. I know it's not the same as what they sell in a rattle can.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I used a couple spray cans of Rustoleum Black Appliance Epoxy. Primed any bare areas with etching primer. Has held up amazingly well over past several years.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rattle can paint now is a low voc acrylic not as good as it used to be it seems but still decent. Almost impossible go get down nicely from the can though.i usually just take freon can tap extract it and lay it down with a real gun at 15psi with a small tip . The el cheapo walmart gun someone gave me works best with that stuff 3 part single stage is better if you can find it in phantom black .
Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercruiser uses EDP and Phantom black paint. But really their paint & process is a long one also to combat corrosion. You can buy them in a rattle can from Merc or a dealer. I have a bunch as well.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMRON will hold up forever. Unless you hit something solid.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Sandblast the drive to get rid of all corrosion. Use the Mueller green primer that they sell at most Merc dealers. Put on 2 coats of Phantom Black within 20 minutes.

Run it, it will last forever. It is all in the preparation. You do a crappy job it wont last. If you do a good job, it will last a while.

Mine blisterd around the upper water pickup. I assume it was from the inside out and it wasnt that bad. Again, its all in the preparation.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Mercruiser uses EDP and Phantom black paint. But really their paint & process is a long one also to combat corrosion. You can buy them in a rattle can from Merc or a dealer. I have a bunch as well.
True statement even though it grossly over-simplifies the factory preparation, primer and painting processes. Most folks have absolutely no idea just how complicated the factory painting process is - but that's why it lasts so long. Oh, and you simply cannot duplicate all aspects of the factory paint - even in a collision shop. You may get something to look good, but it will not perform (especially from a corrosion resistance standpoint) as well as the factory paint. And as for any rattle can paint, you won't even come close.

My 1992 Mercury 200 outboard is almost all original paint and still looks great. Of course it's run in 100% fresh water too. But, if you scratch the factory paint and get through the primer - especially of you run in salt water - you're all done as the corrosion will continue to creep under the good paint.

I should note that my gear case was repainted (in Imron) almost 20 years ago and still looks awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.