Notices

gel coat stain

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
I typically avoid Walmart at all costs, but they stock "Shoreline Marine Hull Cleaner" which my neighbor talked me into trying. Biodegradable, and did a great job on lightly stained white bottom. You'll have to wax it again afterwords, but was pretty much wipe it on and spray off with hose.

On the Magic Eraser comments. Cleared up my mildew stained interior in no time. Then it started cracking in no time.... My upholstery guy loves them, made $300 off me recovering two seat bottoms a year later. Said they strip the protective coating off. Looks good till the sun drys out the material. Never tried them on gelcoat..
WOW thanks for the heads-up-

I haven't had any mildew on our seats - but my owners manual says to use bleach or Softscrub-- WHICH I WON'T DO- I have used Simple Green to wash off dirt etc.

3pointstar
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like anything once you clean it to a point to get any stains out you have taken away it's protective finish. With gel coat and paint you have taken off the polish and wax so you need to refinish it. With the magic eraser on the vinyl ot works great. My dad had a white interior and a 90 lb german shephard. She goes on the island and gets sand/ dirt throughout his boat. White interior is tan by the end of the day. The magic eraser works great with countless cleaners. I prefer to use Westley bleach white or clorox clean up with it. It brings the interior right back to white. However it dries out the natural oils in the fabric. I then use a vinyl and leather cleaner and protectant with mink oil in it. Boat has no issues with it cracking or drying out. You can prevent the mold by wiping the interior with water and bleach on a rag before you store it for the winter.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try on & off hull and bottom cleaner. It will get rid of all yellow, rust etc. it says it is made for fiberglass. I used it after leaving the boat in the water for a few weeks and it had yellow stains and fork lift stains. Got rid of them all. Buy some plastic drop cloth and cover your trailer. It is available at west marine as well as other outlets, good luck.