Gel coat doesn't get yellow water stains

Notices

Gel coat doesn't get yellow water stains

Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gel coat doesn't get yellow water stains

Hi everyone

My neighbor and I have an symbiotic relationship. He allows me to store our boat in his barn as long as I wash/wax and detail his boat at the end of the year. He has a 205 Searay. I really am getting the best of the deal - his "barn" is nicer than some people's homes.

Here's my question. In the years that I have been doing his boat -- it has NEVER had any yellow stains from sitting in the water. Mine on the other hand needs to be cleaned at least 3-4 times a season to keep it white. We are in almost the exact same water type-fresh water - we both keep them on lifts. Is there something in the Searay gelcoat that is preventing this?

thanks

3pointstar
Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

subscribed
Old 10-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I see the same thing on my dock. My boat gets horrible yellow staining to where I have to acid the bottom twice a year and yet other boats seem to be fine for years. You can see in this pic how bad it gets. I used "Works" on the hull from the chine to the first strake. Then from the first strake to the keel shows just how yellow it gets.
Attached Thumbnails Gel coat doesn't get yellow water stains-hullstain.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I see the same thing on my dock. My boat gets horrible yellow staining to where I have to acid the bottom twice a year and yet other boats seem to be fine for years. You can see in this pic how bad it gets. I used "Works" on the hull from the chine to the first strake. Then from the first strake to the keel shows just how yellow it gets.
That is EXACTLY what I experience. Drives me nuts!! Even when I wax the boat it really doesn't offer much protection. I'm suspecting that as the gel coat gets a little older it becomes more porous - and lets the nasty's in -- just a hunch...

I can't speak for the "Works" but what I have used is a solution of Iron Out -- mix up in a garden sprayer and it does a wonderful job - very inexpensive too

3pointstar
Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

It may be related to the gel coat hardness. Some gel is sft others hard.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its the water only...where I am, if it stays in 24 hours it's tan, does not matter my checkmate, gibson, my friends searays, or fountains...get them all...