Notices

X Dimension

Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Dimension

So I'm moving along in my transom replacement for my chris craft xk 22. I've read on here that the x dimension of old boats was often put too low so that the skeg was too far below the water line. I know that each boat is different, but is there a way to measure x dimension while I'm doing my transom to improve the speed a little bit? I know these boats were never fast, but I'd like to get into the 50's if at all possible so I can keep up with the rest of the family. I picked up a 6.2l mpi, so I think I'll have the power.

Kind of on the same line, but not really. When I picked up the motor the guy gave me the transom assembly for the bravo, everything but the leg and the gimbal ring was broken. If I chose to swap to the bravo, could the next owner take it back to original if they wanted by cutting out the hole? Or would the x dimension be too far off between the bravo and volvo?

Thanks for the help

David
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Definitely better off with the Bravo and i cant imagine going back to a vintage Volvo for any reason (even though i am a huge Volvo fan). Boats arent generally looked on like classic cars for OEM originality, its perfectly acceptable to upgrade driveline components. If i was looking to rest-mod it i would probably go with a new DP Volvo but in reality the Bravo is a better cost feasible mod. With the MPI and Bravo you should have no prob hitting your speed goal.

to answer the original question the Volvo cut out is so much larger then the Merc i doubt there would be any issue locating the original X drive position if switching back.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-25-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Good stuff. Is it a good idea to install outdrive a little higher on the transom?
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you you know what the prop shaft centerline to hull bottom dimension was with the Volvo?

Jeff
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

I don't have it, but it wouldn't take much to mock it up and get the measurement
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At 50 MPH I don't believe a higher X is going to do anything but hurt your performance. At that speed surfacing the prop is going to do almost nothing. AND it will hurt your planning and cruise efficiency. Rather than put a ton of $ into that boat sell it and buy a boat that will do what you want it to do stock. Then IF ( when ) you decide to go faster you will have a hull that will respond to the improvements.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Registered

I'm definitely keeping this boat. I'm doing all the work myself so I'm not spending a ton of money on it. I'll just put the drive back in the same spot and go from there.