1991 Scarab 30 Sport Project >

1991 Scarab 30 Sport Project

Notices

1991 Scarab 30 Sport Project

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Scarab 30 Sport Project

Figured I would post some pictures here. Learning myself, but all is seeming to come out well. Story on the boat goes like this...

91 Scarab, bought for cheap, went in half's with my brother to buy my father a fishing boat to get him away from mom(Still his wife). He needs a fishing boat, I need a fun little party boat(I don't like taking my 380 out all the time) so I will rack and launch this and use this much more often).

Bought it with plans to paint the motors, rebuild all the carbs, redo the dash, paint the rub rail up, and clean up. Since then, I have decided to paint the whole boat, fix all stress cracks, full stereo, paint the t-top, all new lighting, all new grip on the floor.

Here is the initial purchase..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Registered

I don't have any pictures of the the pre photos on the motors but the hoods were pretty stress cracked and the lower units were pitted up. I 80 grit the lower units with a DA and sprayed filler primer with 3 coats. This alone filled most pits.

For the hoods, I used West systems 105 with 407 filler mixed to fill all stress cracks and the lower of the hoods where they were all cracked. For the skim layer, I used dolphin glaze. After this, I used filler primer again, sat over night, sanded with 220 then sprayed with Imron. Here is the turn out.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Next, I went ahead and pulled the center console.

This was glued, so I just used a putty knife and a hammer with a fork lift to lift the console out.

If there was many stress cracks, I used 36 grit and a DA to sand down to fiberglass. If it was small stress cracks, I used either a Dremel to V out the grooves.

Both, I started with 105 epoxy mixed with 407 to fill the grooves. I plan to put a top coat tonight with 105 mixed with 410, then prime tomorrow with primer filler.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

For the dash, you already seen in the last photos, but everything but the steering wheel and throttles will be new. Here is pre. Previous post has the post with the gauges moved and the new GPS/Fish Finder.

Here is also the new switches that I order from New Wire Marine. Perfect set-up for what I need, pre wired and ready to go.

I ordered this pre wired/ well because I have this to look forward to yet..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I'd paint that thing yellow and your dad could be the 'Hoff'. With so much of the market going towards CC's it's not as silly as it sounds!

Nice project, hope he enjoys it and catches plenty.

RR
Attached Thumbnails 1991 Scarab 30 Sport Project-image.jpeg  
Old 03-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I'd paint that thing yellow and your dad could be the 'Hoff'. With so much of the market going towards CC's it's not as silly as it sounds!

Nice project, hope he enjoys it and catches plenty.

RR
I would but this is my previous scarab. No more yellow boats for me!! Below the rub rail will be the same colors at the motor, and above will be all white.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

I need to find me a 30 scarab like that