Chipped gelcoat question >

Chipped gelcoat question

Notices

Chipped gelcoat question

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipped gelcoat question

I have 3 chips about the size of a paper clip on the edge of a strake toward the front of my boat underneath. It looks like maybe it hit something as the are all in line about 8" apart from each other.

My question is can i just smooth the edges down and re-gel it or do i need to fill in with some 3m marine premium filler first and then gelcoat? Its on the bottom so not to concerned with it matching perfectly. Wasnt sure if something like the spectrum kit would work?

The fiberglass underneath looks fine, like it just chipped the gelcoat is all. Boat hasnt seen the water since august so it should be pretty dry.

I just happened to notice it when i dropped a washer underneat the trailer and crawled under to retrieve it. No idea how long its been there.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

I use gelcoat, match color, (if white on white most times it will fade in) mix in some cavasil, (sp) and spread on with a light sand when finished. I some times take some clear plastic and tape it over the patch to make a more smooth finish. Hope it helps remember to clean and prepare area first.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Registered

Thank you. So no need for the filler then just fill in with the gel i guess. Makes sense since its just the gel that chipped.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergja
I use gelcoat, match color, (if white on white most times it will fade in) mix in some cavasil, (sp) and spread on with a light sand when finished. I some times take some clear plastic and tape it over the patch to make a more smooth finish. Hope it helps remember to clean and prepare area first.
Yup, mix in a little cabosil to thicken up the gel. I've used Spectrum paste patch before too but it seems to do better above the waterline.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Would this kit work?
http://www.iboats.com/Pro-Tint-Kit-4...FQgoaQodqugNLQ

Just add some cabosil to thicken it up? Do u still add hardner?