Transom repair question NEED HELP >

Transom repair question NEED HELP

Notices

Transom repair question NEED HELP

Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom repair question NEED HELP

I have some damage on the transom corner near the hull ID number it actually runs right up to the number. My question is , I may need to grind it off to repair the damage and that is a no no but I may not have any choice. So what can I do if I have to grind off the number to make repairs in the fiberglass. I am not sure if it has another number on it or not any suggestions ??
Old 07-31-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Working on a boat right now that had previous damage to the area where VIN is molded into the transom. Here's what it has.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557787[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Transom repair question NEED HELP-20160605_151132.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say try to preserve it as much as possible. A lot of boats had a 'secret' location where the HIN is glassed into the hull also. On mine, I finally found it a couple of years ago, it's basically just a piece of paper with the the HIN written on it in Sharpie, that is under a layer or two of glass. So if you can't find it, you can do something like that in a gunnel or something, to preserve the HIN, then attach a new HIN plate when you are done. I would probably 5200 it down, instead of rivets, unless that is some sort of coast guard reg so it can't be easily swapped...
Old 07-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
I would say try to preserve it as much as possible. A lot of boats had a 'secret' location where the HIN is glassed into the hull also. On mine, I finally found it a couple of years ago, it's basically just a piece of paper with the the HIN written on it in Sharpie, that is under a layer or two of glass. So if you can't find it, you can do something like that in a gunnel or something, to preserve the HIN, then attach a new HIN plate when you are done. I would probably 5200 it down, instead of rivets, unless that is some sort of coast guard reg so it can't be easily swapped...
My thoughts as well, try saving it at first but if that doesn't work replace it with a plate. There isnt much standardization for HIN's as far as how they are put on the hull. I would probably do a simple plate rivited on, would seem the most factory appearance. I have had plates done at trophy shops that looked really good and were only a few bucks.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

May I suggest taking a picture of it now and as GlassDave suggested have a nice plate made and rivet it in place. In this way you have before and after pics.

3pointstar
Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

In Florida , you can have request a Marine Patrol officer verify HIN # free of charge . I would ask for documented verification before altering / destroying HIN#. If you plan on selling it in the future , it's much easier to explain a non factory HIN plate to a potential buyer when you have an official document.Make a call to your local Marine Patrol / Coast guard station and tell them your concerns. If it was that easy , 50% of the boats and jet skis in Miami would have damage in the upper corner of the transom... Good Luck!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

You can restore the hin # as it was before without much trouble.............go to any printer and get the "type set numbers" for your boat............I have a local printer friend that gave me my
magnum ID numbers for free.......it's lead and not expensive at all. you just have to match the style of block print closest to the original......I cut an oblong patch into the glass upper corner
filled it with gelcoat wait until it starts to kick. I already had the numbers glued (side by side) with epoxy to form a "sort of" stamp if you will............sprayed the stamp with a release agent
and then pressed the stamp into the gelcoat.....................................you'd never know the difference!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scippy
You can restore the hin # as it was before without much trouble.............go to any printer and get the "type set numbers" for your boat............I have a local printer friend that gave me my
magnum ID numbers for free.......it's lead and not expensive at all. you just have to match the style of block print closest to the original......I cut an oblong patch into the glass upper corner
filled it with gelcoat wait until it starts to kick. I already had the numbers glued (side by side) with epoxy to form a "sort of" stamp if you will............sprayed the stamp with a release agent
and then pressed the stamp into the gelcoat.....................................you'd never know the difference!
think the type is call Linotype

Ken
Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I dont actually think there is any sort of "official" method of putting a HIN on a hull. Ive had marine enforcement out several times for hull id issues and not once did they ever question how they were applied. Had all kinds inspected from a secondary number scratched into the gel under the rubrail to one done with an engraving pen on the back of a Skater (done at the factory) to a bowling trophy type screwed into a stringer and not once was the method questioned in any way. All they wanted to see was that it was physically on the boat somewhere.

Several years ago my ScarabIII got flagged for having an inconsistent set of numbers on the title, they sent me a letter that I blew of as no big deal until a water enforcement cop showed up at my door (apparently it was a big deal lol) water cop says we really need to resolve this. Problem was when ohio issued the title they put twelve characters down and there was only supposed to be eleven or something like that. Heres where it gets tricky and was sort of the source of me avoiding them. When I put my through hulls on I inadvertently drilled the hole dead center on the hin lol . I explain this to water cop and he tells me there is usually a secondary hin under rubrail towards the rear on either side. Popped off the rail and there it was.

Moral of the story? . . . . . . I wouldnt worry about it to much. just do a nice job on the repair and save it if ya can. If not, I would probably just photograph and document the original one before ya do any thing then scrap the whole area and use some other method like a plate. It may also be worth locating the secondary hin while your at it.

I definitely like parasails suggestion of getting it inspected by officials beforehand and getting some documentation
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 08-01-2016 at 09:11 PM.