I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside >

I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside

Notices

I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside

Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside

JOB - repaint the hull (draft) on a 20' V - replacing ~50 yrs of a thick coating of paint/gel which ultimately started blistering.

1 - Hull (draft) sanded all the way down to the glass.

2 - 3 coats of pettit protect applied so far, 2 more coats left to go (1 gal white, 1 gal gray, rotating colors to better see areas of coverage )

3 - Pettit VIVID (white) - plan 2-3 coats (paint till 1 gal is gone)

4 - allow to dry

5 - wax before winter storage

NEXT JOB - Now I am wanting to paint the topside (freeboard, gunwhale) and have a couple questions.

1 - Should i stick with the pettit products and use Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Paint ?

2 if not Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Paint, then what?

Thanks!

- scott -
Old 09-19-2016, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Did you gel and fair the bottom?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Registered

I sanded down to the glass so filling in indentations caused by localized sanding wasn't terribly relevent, or if you prefer, the sanding exercise was simply one large fairing task.

As for gel, if there was any on the hull (since I have owned it), it is no longer there and I don't intend to put any down unless I am terribly unhappy with the durability of the paint...even then I would probably paint it again before attempting to reglass the whole boat, this was and will be a 50+ yr old painted boat, but now it is no longer blistered and cracking. Having said this, if a full gel coat would have been something I believe I could have done myself successfully, I probably would have headed in that direction.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 09-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Registered

OK, I'll add pictures & a bit more of a story to go along, but I think it may dilute my question (which is repeated at the bottom of this post)?

Here are some pics on this thread that show earlier phases of this effort. I suspect this may be the pictures requested, I have a couple of protect going on, seeing the rotating white and grey shades....I should have taken pics of the trailer being removed from under the boat, that may have been a bit more entertaining :-)

More pics?

This is boat when the hull has been sanded.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559566[/ATTACH]

Here it is with the 2nd gray rotation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559567[/ATTACH]

Here it is in the 2nd white rotation...One more rotation of protect and it is on to paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559568[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]559569[/ATTACH]

Some background?

Here is a pic taken some time ago by a prior owner (I found this on OSO some time ago and it is a better pic than any other I have available). I am showing this pic since I want to show before colors and after colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559561[/ATTACH]

In this pic we have; white hull, yellow freeboard w/ lower red stripe, white top w/ red racing stripe down the middle of the top. Also here we have yellow vinyl and carpet.

When I got the boat it was pretty much the same but the vinyl was white.

I have since replaced all vinyl and it is now a deep red (tuck and roll vinyl)

Proposed; the hull may end up whiter than what i am looking for (I think it needs a touch of gray to make it like Donzi White) but I'll wait and see how works when all is done. I want to paint the freeboard a darkish blue and run a white strip along the bottom in the same way the red stripe runs along the yellow. I want the top to remain white and rather than a red racing stripe I want a blue one.

Here is a photo of the style of racing stripe I am referring to;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559562[/ATTACH]

The blue paint I want use is similar to the commodore here;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559564[/ATTACH]

With this last pic and a moderate imagination you can probably envision where I am wanting to take this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559565[/ATTACH]

So with 2 Donzi references, it doesn't mean I want to to be viewed as a Donzi, the Monza and Donzi are Kissin' Cousins so there will be common threads. I have old Monza logo pics but to be honest they are pretty boring SO I may get a bit creative (I'd have to search through 15K pics to find the logo, so that's gonna have to wait).

That is as many pictures as I could reasonably cram into this post

With all of that you would think I was building up to something big, but no.... I just wanted feedback on topcoat products, specifically those from the pettit family.

Should i stick with the pettit products and use Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Paint or another pettit topside products?

if not Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Paint, then what? (this is my first time painting and i'm flying solo)

Thanks!

- scott -
Attached Thumbnails I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-yellow-monza.jpg   I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-2016-09-18-family-boat-stuff-1.jpg   I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-ezpoxy2colorchart.jpg  

I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-donzi-22-classic-blackhawk_thumbnail_222840_5_800_1415010123.jpg   I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-monza-sanded.jpg   I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-monza-starboard-side-protect-gray.jpg  

I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-monza-port-side-protect-white.jpg   I've had so much fun painting the hull, let's go Topside-monza-front-side-protect-white.jpg  

Last edited by scottgjerdingen; 09-19-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Fixing attachments
Old 10-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

i think the combination you have in mind will look great! I did a rendering of my own boat to change colors around and see how i could make it pop.