Corrosion inhibitor

Notices

Corrosion inhibitor

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Corrosion inhibitor

I just spent an entire weekend sanding my trim tabs. I got them very good but I'm sure there has got to be some corrosion somewhere that I just can't see. Prior to putting on an epoxy primer is there any good corrosion inhibitor that I could use to provide a little extra comfort?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not any kind of expert here -- so please take this just as "my experience". I'm assuming that your tabs are high-grade aluminum?? When our outdrive (steg) showed a little missing paint and corrosion- I lightly sanded it to bare metal. I then purchased a zinc primer and put probably 5 VERY LIGHT coats on it- letting it dry between coats - it only took 10 minutes tops- it was that warm out. I followed up with a number (I really don't remember how many to be honest) at least 8 coats of Mercruiser spray paint- again letting them dry between coats. I did this over the course of a very warm day while I was detailing the rest of the boat--

That has been three seasons ago and the paint looks phenomenal - NO corrosion or anything close to it-In fact it looks like I knew what I was doing!!

I hope this may help a little- good luck!

3pointstar
Old 04-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

3Point - I hadn't thougth about the Zinc Primer. That could even go under a very tough coat of Epoxy Primer. Sometimes I wish I knew more about this stuff. I literally spent all weekend sanding these things in between crevices, etc..... so I want something that lasts a few years at LEAST.....

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=seafordguy;4545226]3Point

Cigarette Café -- PLEASE -- I'm not an expert on this -- I'm just sharing what I did. I have NO idea if this will work in your situation and I don't want for you to get screwed over based on my advice.

3pointstar
Old 04-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=3pointstar;4545263]
Originally Posted by seafordguy
3Point

Cigarette Café -- PLEASE -- I'm not an expert on this -- I'm just sharing what I did. I have NO idea if this will work in your situation and I don't want for you to get screwed over based on my advice.

3pointstar

I gotcha. I'm going to see if anyone else responds before I do anything, but I still like the thought....
Old 04-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Zinc Chromate is the correct primer.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A friend of mine just gave me some DuPont 225S and 226S. I'm going to start with that and then move to the primer I think.