Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Dump Gun and epoxy paint >

Dump Gun and epoxy paint

Notices

Dump Gun and epoxy paint

Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

It is not that big of a deal to put a roller on a pole and roll it all compared to moving everything out of the garage than masking and covering every phuking thing you don't want overspray on.

Trailer included.

Plus not dealing with cure times in a gun and and the health aspects of spraying it.

Roll it. It will take you an hour a coat.

You are not going for a show car finish so why spray?

And yes. There is chit in every paint that will shorten your life just a little bit less.

I Drink more and Spray less. I am the picture of health being only 40 pounds overweight, but they tell me you look really good right before you find out you have Cancer

Last edited by tommymonza; 05-05-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Both good points. thanks

My initial thought with being able to spray is it will fill in all the tinny crevasses better on the first coat, and should be smoother. Since I'm chasing the dragons tail for the 50 mph mark. Could also be a slightly rougher surface might also help, don't know. As you say it would overall much easier overall to roll. About 20 min to spray, and maybe an hour to roll.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I would NOT recommend a dump gun. It does not spray a "fan", it allows pre mixed catalyzed product to be "dumped" out with compressed air impinging on the stream of product to the work surface, It is used mostly to apply gell coat to a mold surface where the finish is actually the mold, the cap of the dump gun is vented and it will not spray much above 90 degrees from the horizon
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

I'm getting ready to roll and brush tomorrow, should have two days with the temps above 70. Hope to get 4 coats on it, then maybe Monday, lower onto the trailer and paint the jack spots. Another week after that, put it in the water
Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Registered

Rolled plastic under the boat, then used fiberglass wash 202 and cleaned it up. Arms sore, Admiral came in as I was having a beer and asked why not put the first coat on? Said OK, you going to help? She says yep

So mixed up 2 quarts of paint, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Tell ya this stuff is almost thin as water. Figure that's why there should be at least 3 coats. Kind of thought it would take more then 2 quarts to paint the hull, but no we had next to nothing left, but did have a tad bit.

So here is the first coat, tomorrow we get the second coat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Dump Gun and epoxy paint-photo1202.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Have 5 coats on and looks pretty good. There are some heavy sanding marks that I didn't notice when first starting to paint, the ones left on the sides where not to bad and I finished them. The dealer did a great job when it was just doing the bottom paint removing, but guess the low paid guys doing the sanding were getting frustrated, or something. In any case, its all done expect the jack pad areas. Will put on the trailer Monday, paint Tue and Wed while installing another oil cooler and finish wiring the oil temp gauge. Probably put it in the water and on the lift somewhere between Fri and next Mon. A few drips here and there, and would have been smoother to spray, but maybe next time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567316[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Dump Gun and epoxy paint-photo1203.jpg   Dump Gun and epoxy paint-photo1204.jpg   Dump Gun and epoxy paint-photo1205.jpg  

Dump Gun and epoxy paint-photo1206.jpg