Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Painting plexiglass, how to do it????? >

Painting plexiglass, how to do it?????

Notices

Painting plexiglass, how to do it?????

Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Painting plexiglass, how to do it?????

It was no easy task but I got my cabin door out so I can paint it. That old plexiglass is way to easy to see through so I plan to paint it white to change color and add privacy.
Does plexiglass have to be specially prepped to adhere to the paint right? Is acid etching needed to make it bond to paint?
What can you tell me about this paint project?
TIA
Old 05-07-2017, 05:19 AM
2jz
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Vynil wrap them hundreds of colors and designs to choose from. I think trying to paint them would take up alot of time to prep,paint and correct paint that would flex some with plexiglass.
Other option is buy plexiglass in color that fits your needs. You can order it cut to size
Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think a vinyl spray for upholstery would be flexible enough. and you could experiment on a 10 buck piece of plexi from home depot-lowes...maybe spray the inside of the door so outside still has same texture-look as before.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 05-07-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I painted one of those clear hood deflector years ago. Painted the back side as already suggested. Just used some cheap Krylon spray bomb. Looked great and lasted a long time. Don't remember doing any special prep other than wiping down with a tack cloth.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2jz
Vynil wrap them hundreds of colors and designs to choose from. I think trying to paint them would take up alot of time to prep,paint and correct paint that would flex some with plexiglass.
Other option is buy plexiglass in color that fits your needs. You can order it cut to size

I like the endless options with wrapping but less than permanent is what makes me consider something that will stay the way I make it without the need to be done again sometime.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

The Formula cabin door plexiglass is very thick, 1/2" and curved into an "L" shape. The clearance to get it out is very tight and other obstructions had to be removed that were in the way so I don't want to do this again.
My concerns with paint are around the expansion and contraction of this plastic material's thermal properties and keeping paint on it. If it is bonded right all should work well but I am not sure of what is required for a good adhesion. If this gets overly pricey then it would compare against just buying a new white Plexiglas door from Formula. I'm sure that is a high price.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Try calling TAP Plastics out in Calif. Plastics/Acrylics/Fiberglass is all they have done for 30 years.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:03 PM
2jz
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

TAP plastic a great choice i have used alot for starboard and acrylics projects. Buying 1/2 acrylic or plexiglass can get to be expensive and on top of that it needs to be curved. I still think vynil wrap is best. You don't have to do both sides of the door just exterior side and trim to fit. Should last very long time.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Registered

Formula said: 1) Wipe with plastic prep.
2) Scratch with 800 grit
3) Wipe with plastic prep
4) Spray with adhesion promoter - let flash off
5) Spray with value shade

So now I need to find a local painter to do this for me.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Is value shade acrylic ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.