Notices

Sandblasting

Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandblasting

My boat was painted with some type of car paint and is starting to peel so I want to sand it and re gelcoat it. Does anybody know if I can sandblast the paint off? Will it hurt to gelcoat underneath?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you have no idea what you are getting into.... just sand it and repaint it.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
you have no idea what you are getting into.... just sand it and repaint it.
your right, I've never sandblasted anything... Have already begun sanding. Just wondering if there's a faster way
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes there is a faster way , Plastic Media Blasting , works great on paint over fiberglass . Fast and Smooth
Old 06-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Yes there is a faster way , Plastic Media Blasting , works great on paint over fiberglass . Fast and Smooth
really, I haven't heard of that. I will do some research. Thanks alot.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I am not sure how well it works on painted boats but make sure you have an experienced, skilled operator. It is not something that you learn in a few minutes a bad operator can really screw metal parts up, imagine what can happen to gell Coat and fiberglass. Also, you do not want your boat to be the first boat he does.

Padraig
Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
I am not sure how well it works on painted boats but make sure you have an experienced, skilled operator. It is not something that you learn in a few minutes a bad operator can really screw metal parts up, imagine what can happen to gell Coat and fiberglass. Also, you do not want your boat to be the first boat he does.

Padraig
Your exactly right , When I blast , the pressure is only 36-38 Psi . I use 12-16 Urea plastic . The plastic leaves very little profile , its very common to blast Corvettes to restore . I cant post pics but , just finished the bilges of a 33Eliminator and a 26 eliminator that had that horrible
multi colored splatter paint with the Ivory Base color . Also a Hawaiian Jet boat with 5!!! different layers of paint and primer and a Hydrostream Vulture for myself . I also blast bodies and chassis for some of the napcar teams .
Where are you located ? I could do it for you if your willing to drive.