Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave >

Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252 Help Glass Dave

Notices

Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252 Help Glass Dave

Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is for my transom shower sprayer and is just hanging down. This is a cruiser. Exact same concept though. Study the pics closer. This is of the finished transom. IGNORE everything but the red arrows. The one shows the cut out in the 2 center stringers. The outer arrow is pointing to a 1/2" hole in the outer stringers. It's below the black vent hose hanging down. That hole I just drilled thru in order to allow any water further out to drain. After I drilled it, use a paint brush or Q tip to seal the wood in the hole with VE resin.
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_5445.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Are we discussing the same area, the location off to the sides of the hull in back that make up the extended swim platform detail?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I am wondering if I had water get back there from my rear blower vents over the years from rain storms while we are on the lake, boat is always indoors other then two weeks a summer on vacation. I don't know for sure but was just thinking about those areas. my boat has no way to get the water out of there if it ever got in there. I was pretty wet down low as you can see from pics.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Put drain holes there. Mark it, drill it , seal it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kip4234
When you say bed them in do you use mat on the inside skin before the wood or just a bedding compound and where it is double thick do I and what kind of mat and material in between the two 3/4" plywood sections.
Hey Kip, did you get a response to this question from Dave?
Thanks,
Shawn
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Kips got the 24/7 tech hotline number now u can use either to bed the transom in but not both and use a layer of ounce and a half mat inbetween the layers of wood.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-14-2017, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave, I figured as much so was hoping he would share the wisdom you gave him. Thank you for always graciously extending our time to us OSO guys.
Regards,
Shawn
Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

I will share everything as I can, still not ready to move on at this point yet. I am going to use Vinyl Ester, I need to pick up my good Marine Hydrotech wood from my daughter in College Station Texas. hoping I can do some light touch up grinding this weekend and get my wife to help make a pattern. With the shape of the back of my boat I need to make a pattern of just what is going to get stuck to my existing glass area also. I am going to make a tall transom that some of it wont be stuck to the skin so as Dave has told me I need to get that size mapped out and preglass that existing area in and with my tall transom I need to cut notches on the outside areas so I can reach back into behind and be able to tab in at the bottom and sides of the swim well areas. also need to make mouse holes at the bottom that will be small and glassed in but would allow those areas to drain if water would ever get into those small areas, not see picture in earlier post of back of boat I am going to stainless mesh those vents to not allow rain water to blow into those areas easily. I will also make small glass in notches for the water if it would get into there to drain down into bilge area. None of this was done on my boat from the original build as my key hole was not sealed good and my exhaust holes were not glassed neither just 5200 on them. Hoping to not have any of this happen again. Thank you Dave for all you do
Old 09-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Registered

My Beautiful wife made me a pattern today.
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2706.jpg   Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2710.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Registered

My wife's tongue depressors and hot glue took about a hour tops. We traced off of that pattern onto some cheap ply to make a real pattern and it was a 100% fit on the first try. Was worried that the big piece might not fit down into the area but it went right in. I need to get my good wood home and I also need to order glass and supply's now. I need to talk with Dave again for more advice. Thinking glass the back of tall area of transom and have that done. Can use my wife's pattern for that she made it to spec for glass area of transom and also the whole area. Thinking Daves first thought would probably be best and use core bond to do the actual transom part that sticks. Also wondering if I should put one sheet of the 1.5 ounce mat on the skin before doing anything else?? Again I have never done anything like this before.
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2717.jpg   Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2719.jpg   Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2720.jpg  

Transom replacement 1995 Webbcraft 252  Help Glass Dave-img_2723.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.