My New 29 Canopy w/ Arneson Surface Drive >

My New 29 Canopy w/ Arneson Surface Drive

Notices

My New 29 Canopy w/ Arneson Surface Drive

Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy
Hotstang, beautiful boat, it will work out after a little R+D. #26 you are a backpedaling knob! Give some one credit for trying something new, not busting his ballz cuz it didn't work on the first splash!
WHO the phuck are you...never backpeddled a bit he is not one to up and try something new...it has been done before, heck I was going to try on mine but to much chit to do to the boat to accoadate the drive...it is far from a easy bolt on for my application so I passed. Again I hope he does get it dialed in would love to see the numbers. But FYI good friend of mine bought a Xpower drive phucked with it for 3 weeks and had a many of bigtimes work with it didn't work, back to his MMW...some chit just doesn't work on certain boats..
Old 08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully flying back out to cali in week or two for another splash. New Engine will be dynoed in about a week or so. I'll post numbers when it's done.

I'm excited to try the hoss "elephant ear" prop I was able to get my hands on. Maybe it will do the trick, but even if not thanks for hooking me up with that guy DAREDEVIL.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We did a similar project years ago (1982). I was VP of a marine distributor for Volvo Penta and Borg Warner/Arneson (among other manufacturers).

We used a light 19' Youngblood gull wing (jet boat hull), which was modified to close the pump's hole and also bottom blue printed; the hull was perfectly straight. For power: a near stock 350" LS7 small block Chevy about 325 hp .

Installed a Volvo speedmaster first go around, but it was a major bich to get on plane and also tended to torque steer, Ran about 76 mph.

Removed the speedy and installed a drop box Arneson. It "cavitated" quite a bit coming on plane (normal), but then hooked-up. I believe we used a 3 blade Merc racing cleaver and also tried a custom round ear, high rake prop, which BW/Arneson was using for testing.

At first we were very disappointed in the speed (70's), but one day I kept trimming it up and the boat came alive. Ran 82 mph (On NOX it ran mid 90's), which was pretty strong for the early 80's. We also used the "wing" on the Arneson's lower vertical fin and it helped with hull lift.

I don't know if Rik was with Howard then, but Howard was a lot of help with the setup. I believe at that time it was one of the fastest single Arnesons.....especially after we sold the boat and the buyer installed a 750 hp aluminum BBC; he used to "killem" in bracket racing.

Somewhere I have old VHS of the boat running with the small block.

Last edited by Dueclaws; 10-09-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: corrected facts
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any Updates on this project? How is it going??
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Registered

ditto;
Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The engine has not been finished yet. They are suppose to be on the Dyno this week.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Engine got back from pfaff. We went very "safe with a set up that will "live". Though we are obviously capable of more right now we have it set for 8lb's of boost. I don't have my hands on the dyno sheet yet but when I get it tomorrow or the next day I will post up.

The engine was on the dyno with the headers and mufflers that are going on the boat so the #'s were a little lower than opposed to a straight out header. Aprox 900 horse and 975 tq

will be in the water this week. first day out will be with a 5 blade cleaver and 4 blade hoss "elephant ear". We have a modified the arneson via a trick little piece that rik sent us and we'll see what happens. I hope to be posting up soon
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
We also used the "wing" on the Arneson's lower vertical fin and it helped with hull lift.
hmmm, sounds exactly like the piece we're mounting to ours.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Registered

well, have the dyno but it's an adobe file...can't find a way to post. hope to have some water test soon. bad weather here in lake elsinore for the past few days and few days to come

Last edited by hotstang46; 10-13-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

" We have a modified the arneson via a trick little piece that rik sent us and we'll see what happens. I hope to be posting up soon "

Do you care to elaborate some more on this,why the secrecy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.