Notices
Formula

opinions on 272 fastech

Old 01-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post opinions on 272 fastech

was wondering if any 272 fastech owners could give me some info on this boat. what size motor and speeds , ride , cabin space, etc. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:37 PM
Registered

26sonic, I just saw your post and thought I'd reply. I have a 97 271 FasTech. It has an HP500 carb, Latham, KPlanes, and loaded with about every other Formula option. The ride of the FasTech hull is great. Very smooth on water up to 2-3 ft., soft landings and handles great for a single engine. The only thing negative I have experienced was a slight chine walk at high speed when trimmed way out and into the wind. It is a little slow out of the hole with a 26p LH prop. Top speed varies but about 70mph WOT. I had my prop balanced and blueprinted last year at a local shop but it didn't seem to make any difference. I really liked it much better in comparison to other boats in the same size range. I could find faster ones, and cheaper ones but none of the other brands had the total package that could compare for my needs. I think it has the biggest sunpad and a great cockpit layout. The McLeod bolster seats are really comfortable, easy to slip into and adjust. The cabin is not really an overnighter but it is a perfect escape from the sun for a nap or lunch. I have overnighted in it but it is a little cramped. Overall it is the best boat I have owned. The Formula company and the local dealer here are top notch. I look forward to moving up to a bigger twin engine boat in a few years. It will be another Formula without even looking at any others.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:54 AM
hauling ass-a

Smile

26 SONIC, I OWN A 2000 271 WITH A 502 MAG. THE BOAT RUNS ABOUT 62 MPH AND IS SUPER SMOOTH IN THE CHOP. I SWITCHED THE PROP TO A 28 PITCH AND PICKED UP A FEW MPH ON THE CRUISING SPEED. FORMULA REALLY BUILDS A TOP NOTCH BOAT! ALSO THEY STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS, YOU CAN CALL THEM AND THEY WILL HELP YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN. I ALMOST BOUGHT A 26 PROWLER, AND I 'AM GLAD THAT I DID NOT. YOU WILL SPEND AT LEAST 15,000 MORE ON THE FORMULA BUT IT IS SURE WORTH IT! THE FORMULA COMES WITH ELECTRIC BLOSTERS, HALON, A SUN PAD THAT I HAVE HAD FOUR PEOPLE TANNING AT THE SAME TIME.FORMULA CUTS NO CORNERS, THE RIGGING IS WITH OUT A DOUBT THE BEST! WORKING ON THE MOTOR IS REAL EASY, WITH PLENTY OF ROOM! THE CABIN ISN'T THE BIGGEST BUT THE LEATHER COUCHES ARE SURE COMFORTABLE. IN MY BOATING GROUP WE HAVE ALL THE BOAT MAKERS, FOUNTAIN, CHECKMATE, POWERQUEST, AND BAHA, BUT THE FORMULA IS THE ONE THEY ALL TALK ABOUT.

Old 02-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is somewhat unrelated, but: The factory cannot be beat. I looked at a 95 303sr1 recently that needed a new sunpad. I called the factory & they said "sure, we can make a new pad with the original graphics on it & out of the original materials."
What other boat manufacturer can or will do that for a 7 year old boat??? Only Formula. Every boat is registered for life! They are not cheap & that says it all right there. They are built to last a lifetime. My '93 252SunSport looks showroom new. Not a loose stitch anywhere, all the vinyls are still color true and supple. Why would you go anywhere else? After you experience Formula quality, everything else is just flash. Look beneath the skin for the real goods. Also resale value holds real well. just my .02
Old 02-19-2002, 09:57 AM

26sonic, I have a 1999 271 with a 500EFI, Silent Choice and every option except the pump out head. Only work has been to remove the Silent Thunder exhaust and replace it with tips (picked up 150rpm and 1mph) and I have had the prop blue printed and extra cup added by a Chicago prop shop. The prop is a 24" Bravo1 4 blade. I am in the process of sharpening the chines, strakes, step and transom and adding a inch (or 2) to the prop, hope to gain 1-3mph.

Love the boat, I have 250 hours on it, runs right at 70mph (GPS, give or take a few tenths) in ideal conditions, can get 68-69mph nearly anytime with any load. It is a little slow coming on plane but with the tabs down I have never had a problem even with 6 adults on board, just not a drag racer from a dead start. Love the handling and ride, build quality can't be beat.

The cabin is small but the v berth is over 6' long, my wife and I have over nighted on it a couple of times, wouldn't want to make it an every weekend thing. The reason the cabin is small is that Formula makes the cockpit large for a 27 footer, look around as I did (for three years) and I think you'll end up with the Formula. It was the best combination of performance, comfort and quality.

Attached is a picture of the boat at the 2001 Lake Cumberland Poker Run
Old 02-19-2002, 02:05 PM

Sorry, I see the picture didn't attached, it should be here if I made it small enough
Attached Thumbnails opinions on 272 fastech-boat-cumberland-cropped.jpg  
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered

Default Re: opinions on 272 fastech

I may not be much help here because I have only had my (new to me) boat out once. It was a cold day in Oct. on Lake Ontario w/ 2-3 ft. chop, and it handled great. And yes, a little slow to plane. But I searched, read whatever I could find, searched some more, and finally bought my 2001 271. Mine also had the silent thunder removed, the original owner which I bought from, had trouble with it, and Formula paid for the removal and adding mufflers. Everything he told me and what I've heard is that they are a great boat and company to deal with.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

almost 5 year old post..nice
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 88formula223
almost 5 year old post..nice
Doh.............. didn't even notice that till you pointed it out.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Wink Re: opinions on 272 fastech

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Doh.............. didn't even notice that till you pointed it out.

You're a sharpie there Mr. Mayor. Radiation effect on the brain cells? Or beverage related issue, similiar to the bump dancing thing.

Quick Reply: opinions on 272 fastech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.