Notices
Formula

40 Pc

Old 09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 Pc

My Wife and I are looking at a 40 PC to do the Great Loop starting Spring 2006. What options would you add for extended cruising? Please give us your opinions on this model?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: 40 Pc

Originally Posted by Big Fun
My Wife and I are looking at a 40 PC to do the Great Loop starting Spring 2006. What options would you add for extended cruising? Please give us your opinions on this model?

How extended are you talking? 3 days, 2 weeks, a month?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh, Nort - The Great Loop involves the entire eastern half of the US: Up the coast, in through the NY State canal system or the St. Lawrence, through the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi and around Florida. Even Reggie Fountain couldn't do it in a month. Figure 4 months minumum, but up to a year to really explore.

I'm looking at doing it in about 6 years, but I'm considering something more along the lines of a Carver 46 Voyager or an Altus 47.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered

Every option that is the way that should be fiited! Don't forget the zodiac.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Registered

Get some software called First Mate from www.thecapn.com. You can take the trip "vicarously". I talked to couple that took the trip from St. Paul to Pensacola on Mississippi and Tennessee/Tom Biggbee River system.

They took 3 months for that portion. He was a M&A lawyer and had a satellite/wirelss hookup for his laptop so he "working" the whole trip.

They really had a great plan and raved about trip and adventures.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Uh, Nort - The Great Loop involves the entire eastern half of the US: Up the coast, in through the NY State canal system or the St. Lawrence, through the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi and around Florida. Even Reggie Fountain couldn't do it in a month. Figure 4 months minumum, but up to a year to really explore.

I'm looking at doing it in about 6 years, but I'm considering something more along the lines of a Carver 46 Voyager or an Altus 47.
Kewl .... gota know more .....
Old 09-26-2005, 05:32 AM
Banned

A friend of mine started to do the great loop. He started in Wisconsin, but he made it to Tennessee I think, then had his boat trucked here. He said that the river portion sucked.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

A 40PC is a geat boat. But not one to do the great loop on. You need diesel power and a very strong range. I could go on, but for this trip, i would not look at anything less than 45' with a tender/jetski on board.

46 Searay, 46 Sunseeker, or 47 Fairline. These are the new models, but the size is right. The price of these boats is right in line with the Formula. Formula is very proud of their boats. You can shop late model used, much larger boats, for substantially less price of a new diesel powered 40PC.

Last edited by h2owarrior; 09-30-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered

I just attended the Tampa Boat Show and am looking at used boats also. The leading contender is a 34 Sabreline fast trawler but also looking at Diesels in a 48 Wellcraft Martinique or 34 Sealine. Since this seems to be a buyers market, used with a survey may be the best thing. More funding for the actual trip.