water in v-berth

Notices
Formula

water in v-berth

Old 11-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in v-berth

hey guys, my wife and i just got an 88 242ls. this is our first Formula . I have learned alot just going through this forum. I need a little help figuring out how my v-berth floor is filling with water when the boat is just sitting on the trailer.the deck hatches are covered,and the door leading to the berth was covered. Is there a drain from the berth to the engine compartment? The only place that i could think that it may be coming from, is the engine compartment. There is rain water in the engine compartment. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: water in v-berth

Originally Posted by rlv1017
hey guys, my wife and i just got an 88 242ls. this is our first Formula . I have learned alot just going through this forum. I need a little help figuring out how my v-berth floor is filling with water when the boat is just sitting on the trailer.the deck hatches are covered,and the door leading to the berth was covered. Is there a drain from the berth to the engine compartment? The only place that i could think that it may be coming from, is the engine compartment. There is rain water in the engine compartment. Thanks for any help.

So its no riding in rough water?? Thinking about the docking bow lights.... I push my bow lights this summer and got alot water in v berth..

Mange
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am led to believe it came from your bilge, the water gets to high and travels up into the cabin. I have had my 242 for 4 years and this just happened to me, in Oct when we had a month of ran, should of had the plug out

Welcome to the board, you will have lots of fun here and post some pics of your ride and your bride if you want
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned

Be sure the transom is lower than the bow.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be coming from the screws that hold the windshield on. They are at the base in a channel covered by a rubber strip. Over time the sealer on them gives up and you will get a cabin leak from them-it will not drip from the ceiling, just fills the floor with water. The larger boats have a well under the cabin step that fills up from this all the time. You just need to back out each screw and put some silicone on it.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

My firend had the same issue with his Wellcraft, it was a pluged drain tube that was supposto run from the anchor locker to the bilge. He jacked with that for months and it was a simple fix. Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered

thanks for all of the input. the part that i don't understand is this: i pulled the carpet out from under the step,and there is a well there, but i don't see a drain to the engine compartment. Of course this is after sticking my hand into the ice cold water to try and reach it
: . i now have the bow up higher. funny how water can get in, but can't get out. The windshield thing sounds like it also makes alot of sense,seeing how the windshield and the engine compartment, were the only things that weren't covered by the tarp. all of you guys are great! we are really excited about this boat. it's a bit of a project, but was affordable. i will post pictures as soon as weather permits. thanks again

Last edited by rlv1017; 11-29-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Banned

There is a drain up there that empties into the bilge. It's probably clogged with debris. Locate it and flush it out with a water hose.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a possibility you may have water entering through a deck hatch also. I pulled the hatches on my 311 and re-sealed them.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Registered

I've had same problem--boat wasn't sitting with bow higher than stern and water from engine bilge flowed thru those drains and flodded the cabin.

I've learned to make sure the drain plug is always removed and that stern is lower than bow.

Those drains are miniscule but they are there--somewhere in that well under the step into the cabim.

Quick Reply: water in v-berth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.