Default Re: project ......

Originally Posted by offthefront
what the hell have i done ????
You've broke out the checkbook...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes when you open a can of worms, the only way to get the worms back in, is to use a larger can.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Sometimes when you open a can of worms, the only way to get the worms back in, is to use a larger can.
speaking of worms ....I have been reworking the engine room while the motors are out. I have decided to relocate the trim pumps and the tab pumps from the bulkhead in front of the motors to the either side of the motors. Also major rewiring of everything in the engine room. Last nite I removed all the pumps and hoses and pulled all the wiring forward so I can clean and paint. Some bad news ( imagine that) I noticed some Fiberglass delaminated down around where the bilge pump is located. There is a section of the main bulkhead/stringer that runs from the transom to the fuel tank. I could stick a finger where the glass was delaminted and sure enough ....rot .... I can stick a screw driver in it 2-3" ...So .....I guess I do need a bigger can ....
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

oh sh$t! some work ahead !
Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Registered

when I stripped all the wiring back ... I bet I found 30 wires that go no where ....just cut
Attached Thumbnails project ......-resize-dsc00001.jpg   project ......-resize-dsc00002.jpg   project ......-resize-dsc00004.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 02-10-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Registered

ok .. now that the motors are out and prepairing to rerig the Engine room .....found some rot ...need some advice ..
main Stringer that runs from Transom between the motors up to the bulkhead that is between Engine room and Fuel tank. There is a notch cut out of the stringer. About 10" high x12" wide .. Viewing from Starboard side it is lower right corner of the stringer. The notch is where the bilge pump is located. Looking at the notch ...the left side (transome side) has rot from the bilge up to where ther notch ends. In the pic's you can see one area where I can stick a screw driver in all the way.

Now the bulkhead running from Starboard to port ....It sounded hollow so I cut some holes ....rot ....however it seems like 2 pieces of plywood ..the piece closest to the transome is pretty much gone ... but you scrape out the 1/2" or so of rotten wood and the other side seems solid . I know i gota fix it ... and it's got to be done right but wonder if I could cut out the fiberglass on the engine room side and replace the rooten plywood and then reglass ? Trying to aviod removing the Fuel tank .... Thanks ....Mike
Attached Thumbnails project ......-rot.jpg   project ......-resize-bulkhead.jpg   project ......-resize-stringer.jpg  

Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered

There is also a Thread in Fiberglass section if anyone is interested ...m
Old 02-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch out for all the might az wells. Your boat will soon look like this
Attached Thumbnails project ......-25-new-bulkhead-small-.jpg  
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
ok .. now that the motors are out and prepairing to rerig the Engine room .....found some rot ...need some advice ..
main Stringer that runs from Transom between the motors up to the bulkhead that is between Engine room and Fuel tank. There is a notch cut out of the stringer. About 10" high x12" wide .. Viewing from Starboard side it is lower right corner of the stringer. The notch is where the bilge pump is located. Looking at the notch ...the left side (transome side) has rot from the bilge up to where ther notch ends. In the pic's you can see one area where I can stick a screw driver in all the way.

Now the bulkhead running from Starboard to port ....It sounded hollow so I cut some holes ....rot ....however it seems like 2 pieces of plywood ..the piece closest to the transome is pretty much gone ... but you scrape out the 1/2" or so of rotten wood and the other side seems solid . I know i gota fix it ... and it's got to be done right but wonder if I could cut out the fiberglass on the engine room side and replace the rooten plywood and then reglass ? Trying to aviod removing the Fuel tank .... Thanks ....Mike
Crap man I was just joking then I read this. You can cut out the engine room side, grind out the bad wood (you will more then likely find that both peices are no good) and replace. I would replace the entire stringer. You will be amazed how much is rotted out.

Jon

Quick Reply: project ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.