Trim in limit spacers.

Notices
Formula

Trim in limit spacers.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim in limit spacers.

I have a 2005 292 and was reading about someone changing the trim in limit spacer location to help with getting the boat on plane. Does anyone out there have any info on how to do this and how well does it work. I know I'll have to keep an eye on how far I tuck the drives when I'm underway but I am the only person that drives the boat so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Re: Trim in limit spacers.

nothinbuttrouble,
The change you are talking about is not to the trim limit switch but to the location of the pin that goes thru the trim rams and the rear of the drive. If you remove this thru pin you will find a nylon spacer inserted in the oblong hole on the rear of the of the drive.When this spacer is placed to the front of the oblong hole it allows the drive to be puled in closer to the transom when in it's full down / in position. This will help the boat come over quicker. Some manufacturers feel that this can make the given model bow steer and therefore place the spacer to the rear of the oblong hole to limit this condition. I sell part time for a large Sea Ray dealership and we often change this pin position to resolve customer complaints regarding slow / hard to plane conditions or bow high running attitude at lower speeds. It is a very simple five - ten minute fix. All you need to be aware of is that more negative trim will push the bow in deeper at high speed as well as low speed. This can, on some hull designs cause BOW STEER, making the boat hunt around and in extream cases hook in one direction or the other. Common sense dictates that one does not run full negative trim at WOT, but in this lawsuit prone world we live in a manufacturer takes the postion that an idiot may be a buyer as often as the man with common sense. Your twin engine 29 is likely a little tail heavy and might respond well to this change. If you have any questions I have not answered, just ask or PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Good luck!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-25-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

RaggedEdge explained it perfectly. I got an '06 Fastech 292 and swapped the spacers around a few weeks ago. Quick and easy. Haven't been out yet to see the effects, but you can definitely see the lower units are tucked in more.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same on my 271 Fastech. Turned out to be a noticable difference in planing but you need to trim the drive back out a little as you are coming on plane to avoid the bow steer that Raggededge speaks of. It's nothing dangerous for coming up on plane but you may notice it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll switch the pin location and see if it helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nothinbut trouble
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll switch the pin location and see if it helps.
nothinbut trouble ,

Looks like this might work for you , based on above comments. Try it out , then post your results so someone else can benefit also.